Friday, July 13, 2012

Happy Friday the 13th of July!

Today will be more of the same hot and humid temperatures as yesterday. Everyone was complaining yesterday about how hot it was but there was still a breeze.  Coming from southern Ontario, THIS is what I'm used to for summer weather. On the other hand, I don't mind not having it for weeks on end. We should have more of the same for today - going from the 18' we have at 5:30 to 26' later with humidity to make it feel like 31'. Unfortunately we now have a 70% chance of rain tomorrow. Hopefully it won't interfere too much with anything that's planned for tomorrow.

Last night when we got home I started in right away making icing  and Lloyd set about cutting up wood. This morning Benny is coming by to pick up a cheque sometime between 6:00 and 6:15. He just happens to be going by this way so that works. Lloyd's really happy with the wood this year. It's skinnier trees so they're much easier to cut through and they'll be a dream to split. In the past we've had some really big pieces and they are much more trouble to cut through and to split. Of course those ones burn longer so there are trade offs.

The cake is progressing. It doesn't look like much right now but the basics are there. I've made it
wider than the original picture to accommodate the numbers they want to serve but once the decoration are all on it I think it will be somewhat like the picture (says she optimistically) . I had made a top layer with styrofoam but I wasn't happy with it so I made another with cake. This one I baked in a squre bowl that I have and I think it will work out just fine. I really wanted the entire thing to be edible so this way it will be.  It also gives them another flavour of cake. The bottom layer is lemon poppyseed, the middle is coconut and the top little one is chocolate. It's not iced yet but it will be covered in white fondant. It seems like a lot of red right now, but once the gold accents are on it the red will be toned down slightly.  I'm looking forward to the final decorating tonight. Stay tuned for more pictures of the final project on Monday.

And that was pretty much our evening. I didn't talk to Brenda last night so I'll have to call this morning to catch up. I think she had exercise class last night so was busy.  There will be lots to paint on this cake. I have gold food colour paint that works really well on the white fondant.  I might get her over tonight and hand her a paint brush!

One last note, Happy Anniversary to our friends Richard and Daralen Anderson over on Five Houses Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment