Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thursday, July 12th - it's going to be a warm one today

17' at 5:00 and heading for a steamy 28' later that will feel like 31'. That's mighty warm for the island but we  likely won't have that for weeks on end like other parts of the country. It is getting very dry though, and there's even talk of putting watering restrictions on in Charlottetown. Now that's something I'm used to in Ontario but I've not seen here before.  There are talking rain for Saturday which is good if you're a farmer, not so good if you're planning an outdoor wedding! I'm not sure but I think that's what Mike and Willow have done. I know the reception part will be inside so they may have to move the ceremony part inside as well, but I'm just guessing.

The good news is Lloyd has Saturday off so he can take the boys fishing. I'm assuming you can still fish in the rain but I don't know for sure. We'll just have to hope for the best for all concerned.

The cake is progressing slowly but right on schedule. The cakes themselves are all baked. I did that last night in spite of the fact we kept running out of water. Our local plumber had installed a replacement part on our pump last week but there seems to be some issue with it as it keeps shutting the system down.  Hopefully that will get fixed tonight with another new part.

Brenda came over last night just as we were finishing supper and I caught up on her trip. She and Meghan had a wonderful time exploring Vancouver and the Whistler area. She also brought me back a copy of the Granville Island Cook Book. There had been an article in the Charlottetown newspaper about it just a few days before she left and it reminded me to mention to her to add Granville Island to her list of must see spots while in Vancouver. It's a lovely book and I'm up early enough this morning that I can make myself a cappuccino and spend a few minutes looking through it. 

My kitchen was an absolute mess last night when Brenda arrived and as soon as Lloyd was done eating he headed out for a bike ride. I had cakes to bake and Brenda decided she would help out by washing up some of the dishes that were piled everywhere. What with supper dishes, and baking dishes the pile just kept growing.  But the water was still an issue so we sat and had a glass of wine instead while the cakes were baking.  Eventually Lloyd got home and she started in washing, despite my protests  - she just got back from holidays and didn't come over to work!  But she's like that, our Brenda, and kept at it until she was saved by the bell - literally. It seems she has a cousin staying down the road at her aunts cottage, who had arrived at her house. Like most people, they know if she's not home, there's a really good chance she's here! So when my phone rang, and it was for her, it was no surprise !  So she told the caller to put the kettle on and she'd be home in a couple of minutes.  Now the cakes are baked, the dishes are all done (I finally got them all done before going to bed) and all is well with the world.

And on that note, there's a cup of coffee and a cookbook that needs browsing before I get ready for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment