Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday, July 26th - a glorious day to not have to go to work!

The weather network says it's 10' and foggy, but let me tell you, that is not the case out here in Pisquid! The sun is streaming in the front windows and glaring off the river. It's a gorgeous morning! I did sleep in a bit this morning, just because I could! I've taken the day off to clean and get diner ready for our guests from Ontario. It was a bit cooler yesterday and it may rain tomorrow so it looks like I totally lucked out choosing today.

Last night we put a few things away and moved the dining tent to the back yard closer to the house. Because it's meant to be quite warm I think we'll be much more comfortable eating outside. I'm currently working on the salads so they can spend the day in the fridge and then before it gets too warm, I'll be off to the neighbours to pick some strawberries for dessert to go with our homemade vanilla ice cream that I made last night. I also made a bowl of slush to make some refreshing cool drinks. I enjoyed it on Saturday night and thought it would be a fun alternative for tonight. I made mine slightly different - it has a mixture of orange and pineapple juice with rum. It seems pretty tasty in it's liquid state so frozen and mixed with a bit of sprite, it should be just perfect!

So our menu for tonight is as follows:
Loaded potato salad  (a new recipe)
and/or 
new potatoes sliced and cooked on the bbq in foil with butter and salt and pepper 
(for those who might not like potato salad)
Brocolli salad
Ceasar Salad
Beer can BBQ chicken
Fresh baked rolls and butter
Homemade vanilla ice cream and fresh picked strawberries

Does it really get any better than that?  I think not! At least I hope not. They were going for lobster last night so I wanted to do something different.

I stopped in to the Van Gaals on my way home last night to check on progress and things are moving right along. They actually have three separate projects going on at the same time so just looking at one doesn't give you a feel for the enormity of what they are doing. Brenda commented that they had put new doors on the closet - to which I replied "You have a closet???" She's going to let me see it once it's all done so I'll be REALLY jealous. We have these tiny little added on closets in two of our bedrooms and nothing in the other so having a real closet would be a dream. But then I just need to look over my right shoulder at the beautiful view and accept that I can't have everything! I'm really grateful for what I do have. It's nothing like the view of the back loading area we had at our previous apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment