Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday, July 10 - now in full wedding cake mode

It's a calm 15' right now heading for a much balmier 26' later this afternoon, but the humidity won't kick in till later in the week.

Last night I spent the evening working on using the new food colouring paints Lloyd brought me from Ontario as well as the food colouring felt tip markers. I wanted to try them out on some scrap pieces of fondant before I attempt to put them on a cake. I've finally finalized the plan for Mike and Willow's cake and that's a big part of the project. Even though I had a basic idea, there were some changes Willow wanted to make so that made a difference in the overall design. But I think I have it down now. 

The big challenge is the golden dragons and phoenix around one of the layers. But I've got that figured out as well. After trying the paint, I think it will be easier and look better for me to make the figures in a flat sort of three dimension and glue them on the sides of the layer and then paint them once in place. That way it will go on much smoother and I won't have to worry about mucking it up in the assembly. Once it's on I won't need to touch it.

The challenge this week will surely be the weather. It's looking to be very warm and humid later in the week and you can't really refrigerate the cakes once the fondant is on them but at the same time you don't want them subjected to too much heat either.  But I'll figure it out.

So after a few texts yesterday, it was determined that Lloyd was indeed right, that Brenda won't be home until later tonight.  They've had some great weather and some really wonderful experiences judging from the pictures she's sent via phone. 

Also texting yesterday was Patti. She and the boys will be arriving sometime this weekend for Tristen's visit next week. Some timing details need to be worked out yet but we will work with them however they end up.  There are several options for Saturday but we'll sort that out once we know who is going to be where, when.

Other than that it's a pretty quiet day.  We were both pretty tired last night after a really busy weekend. A couple of small steaks on the BBQ and a salad for supper with fresh strawberries and the left over crepe filling made for a decent supper and the rest of the evening was just relaxing. Lloyd watched a program on his Ipad while I played around with my paint and fondant.  Now it's getting down to the crunch and I need to get some solid planning in place to pull it all together for Saturday's wedding. Stay tuned for pictures along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment