Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday, July 23rd - back to hot and humid weather today

It's a breezy 18' right now (at 6:00 - I slept in) but we should reach a high of 26' that will feel like 30'.
The sun is rising over the river with a few clouds to obscure the view, but they are quickly dissipating and by the time I get to work the sun should be streaming in the front windows.

Another busy weekend has passed. It feels like that will be the norm for the rest of the summer.  Friday Lloyd and I were out looking at sofas as we're on the hunt for a new one. It was almost 8:00 by the time we got home, so once we had something to eat and cleaned up,  that was pretty much it.
Saturday morning I worked while Lloyd stayed home and accomplished quite a bit. He finished blocking all the wood (now it just needs to be split) and installed the vanity in the upstairs bathroom. He needed a couple of things from the plumbing aisle at the hardware store so he met me in town at 2:00 where we looked at a couple more sofas.

I had baked some cupcakes on Friday evening to take to Lesa's birthday gathering and I had iced them on Saturday morning before going to work. I just had one more little touch I wanted to add so I did that when I got home in the afternoon - a little chocolate letter 'L' to each one. 



Before long it was time to pick up Brenda and head to the party. Lesa's quite liked her cupcakes, and I was pleased about that.
Happy Birthday, Lesa!

Her sister was visiting from Halifax and does readings on people regarding their guardian angels and what the angels would like to see them doing to gain inner peace and balance in their life. I was told I need to say 'NO' a little more often, but it was pointed out to me that 'NO' didn't apply to:
1) cooking school and
2) any requests from Brenda.
It was a good time and everyone enjoyed themselves. We even all went home with gift bags. I had the extra pleasure of getting one of her sisters books, that I'm sharing with Brenda. To learn more about Lesa's sister, visit www.karenforrest.com 

Sunday was the church BBQ but it wasn't until the afternoon so we had some free time in the morning. Lloyd went off for a ride with Bernie and Ray and Brenda and I ventured over to Tracadie for the Lion's pancake breakfast. Let's just say our day didn't get off to the greatest of starts, and leave it at that, but all was good in the end. Maybe the rest of the day had something to do with the pennies we found in the parking lot that we picked up for good luck - at that point we both needed it!

The BBQ, the second annual, was another great success. The numbers were down slightly from last year due in part to a competing event going on, but it was still very successful. We took our big pot to cook the mussels in and it was a bit of a guess for us as to how long it would actually take to cook 100 pounds of mussels and we were pretty close.
First the wine, carrots, onions and celery





Then in go the entire 100 lbs of mussels



All ready to start steaming




The finished product - YUMMMMM!



We know next year how long they will take and be better able to time it. Everyone who had them enjoyed them and there was lots of positive feedback on them. But really, how can you miss with fresh out of the water mussels, a little white wine, some onions, carrots and celery.  It was a bright sunny day with a light breeze so it all went very well. It was also a great opportunity for Lloyd to meet some of the Fort Augustus people. After 3 years, I'm sure some of them thought I was making up the story about having a husband!

After packing everything up, Brenda and I went back to her place to unload, wash up all the dishes and end the day with a nice cold beer.  We were all pretty tired and a nice hot bath to soak my tired feet was the perfect ending to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment