Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday, March 9th - there's a chill in the air this morning

It's a little cooler this morning at -4' but we should reach at least 1' in the sunshine so we'll lose a little more snow. It's gradually disappearing rather than quickly with a lot of rain. That's a good thing if you have a leaky basement I should think. These cold temperatures certainly make for some icy conditions underfoot early in the morning but by lunch time no boots are needed, at least not in town. Out here in mud city, it's another story. But eventually it will all dry up and be great.

It's been a quiet couple of days. Not much going on so I've been getting some things done. First I finished the scarf that's been sitting on my loom now for well over a year. Now that I know what to do with it, it was much easier to just whip through it. It's going to be a very warm scarf. It was a bit of an experiment. I had bought some synthetic knobby type of yarn but when I got it home it was extremely difficult to either knot or crochet so I knew it wouldn't get used. Then in a eureka moment, I thought - hey, I can weave this. The first part was so stiff and thick there was no way it was going to be usable as a scarf. But I had gone to the trouble of putting the warp on the loom so it just sat there. Then when Tristen came to visit he wanted to try weaving. I figured, what the heck, it's not like I'm going to do anything with that project anyway. So I put in some knitting yarn and let him go to town. He spent half a day just working away and has a piece about 10 inches long. I told him we could make a pot holder for his mom when it came off and of course, it's still there. Then some friends from Guelph came to the island on holiday and came for supper one night. Same thing - the two kids wanted to try it. So I gave them a different colour of knitting yarn and they had a go at it. I promised I would send them their pot holder when it was done. They're also still waiting. So after my class on Monday, I tackled it again. The result is much better when you have a vague idea of what needs to be done. The resulting scarf was completed in just a few hours over several evenings. I was ever so pleased to take the projects off on Monday evening. Now I need to get Lloyd to help me with tightening everything up as it's a bit loose in some of the joins. Then I'll be ready to put on my next warp before the ladies come out to inspect my work on the 18th.

I've also got a knitting project that's partly finished and I worked some on that last night, and I also have a partially finished crochet project that I hope to finish off this weekend as well. It's good to get those little things out of the way before I move on to the next one! (something I'm not always so good at!)


I received this photo from James' IPOD the other day. He looks so grown up in his uniform! He also looks so proud. I think he's really enjoying his new experience. I've talked to a couple of people here that had sons go through the cadet program and they both speak very highly of it and what it does for the kids.

I talked to Tristen the other night. He was calling to tell me they are coming for Easter! That's not very far away. I'm really looking forward to that. I do have an ulterior motive though. I have a LOT of branches that fell off the trees over the winter. I think if I enlist some help I could talk James into driving the lawn tractor with the little trailer on the back and the other two kids and I can put the branches in the back. Then we can haul them to the fire pit and when we're done we can have one huge fire. I know they'll like doing that (the fire bit, not necessarily the picking up bit - but we can't have one without the other) . The Easter Bunny will have a great time concealing eggs here - there's lots of hiding places to choose from.

Brenda and Bernie are off to Moncton this morning for some farm stuff, and will be staying overnight. They will miss the little St Paddy's concert at the pub at the Rec Centre. So I'll just have to attend in their absence. I want to talk to the two musicians that will be there about our event in 2014 as I need to recruit some local talent. They were going to be my first targets and they will both be in the same place - how convenient is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment