Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday, March 20th - is it really the first day of spring?

All indications are that we are supposed to receive up to 10 cm of snow this morning but as of 5:40 am it's not started yet - at least not here. It's looking like we could get even more on the weekend so winter isn't finished with us yet this year. It's currently -5' but feels like -12'.  I just looked back on this time last year and it was a sunny and warm 16'.   But we did still receive a little bit of snow after that so we do have to remember it is only March. The nice weather will come soon enough, we just have to be patient. Besides I really wouldn't mind if we still had the huge drifts out back when the kids come for Easter. I can see snow forts in there if James has anything to do with it. But if it rains later in the week that may not be the case.

Monday was a great day. Sheila and Trudy arrived right on time in spite of the snowy conditions. We got right to work and finished the warp that was on my loom. We adjusted a few things and got it working as best we could. I've had some issues with it and we've determined that a few parts are just old and perhaps slightly warped over time. But we got it functioning not too badly and I'm off and running. My first project is a series of three table runners like some I saw in a magazine once. When you put the three on the table they form placemats at each seat. I'll post a picture when I'm finished and you can see what I'm thinking. Then I think I'll try doing a throw just to see how it differs to work on a large project. I've only ever done narrow pieces so it will be a different experience to try something larger. I have a lot of balls of various colours of chenille yarn that I picked up at Zellers for 9 cents a ball so that will be good to practice with. If it turns out, then I can use some  better yarns for the next project. There's lots to learn and I need lots of practice.

I've also put my scrapbooking stuff away for now and cleared off my table so that I can work on my quilt. I set the sewing machine up on the table so I can work on it a little bit at a time.  I certainly didn't get any scrapbooking done this winter. I really don't know where the time has gone. It's not like we were out skiing all winter - only got to do that once. Life just happens I guess.

Brenda should be back today, if she didn't get home last night. Of course she could also be snowed in over in Halifax.  She's off this week for March Break so she and Lloyd are planning to get together one day and make sausages. That should clear up a bit so space in both our freezers.

Not much else is happening today, just waiting for the snow - if it all arrives during the day the commute home could be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment