Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday, March 4th - it's a winter wonderland out there this morning

After a mild and wet weekend, we have new snow covering the ground this morning with a windless -1'.  It was above freezing yesterday and quite a bit of melting was going on. It's an unsightly mess when that happens as you have dirty snow everywhere you look. At least this morning everything is nice and clean and white once more.
Friday evening I was treated to home made soup and hot out of the oven homemade bread at the Van Gaals for supper. Simple fare but it really doesn't get much better. Saturday it was raining so I really didn't mind working. One of the bosses daughters was there and helped me considerably with the huge pile of filing I had sitting around. It was a very productive day and I was pleased with the results. I've left a couple of piles of stuff to be taken upstairs and with any luck it will be be gone when I go back tomorrow.
Saturday evening I spent sorting out a bit in the pantry area as we seem to have acquired a couple more gadgets ( and no, they aren't mine!) so I needed to rearrange things a bit as it was getting more and more crowded  out there. I just put on some music and got to work, while my large pot of vegetable stock was simmering. We had made leek and potato soup at Brenda's so had these lovely leek tops left over. Combined with some carrots and celery and a few potato skins, we now have some great stock for a quick soup.

Sunday was shaping up to be a mild day as well, however just a little above freezing but enough to make everything sloppy and wet. No skiing for us that day. Instead we opted to attend the Home Show in Charlottetown. Before heading back home we enjoyed supper at Boom Burger. I haven't been there before but I will definitely go back again. The fries were great and the burger delicious and juicy. They have an amazing selection of toppings for the burgers including fried onions and grilled mushrooms and even hot peppers. YUMMMMM. When Lloyd gets home we'll check it out for sure as I know he'll like it.

Today I have taken a vacation day to attend a weaving class with a lady who lives in our area. She's picking me up at 8:30 and we're going to Cornwall for the day. I'm really looking forward to it.

Apparently work is progressing on the plane. I talked to James on Saturday and his only comment was 'I can't wait to fly papa's plane!"  He's really enjoying being a small part of this project and I'm so glad he's had the chance to help out. Those are memories he will carry with him all his life. He was busy all weekend at a speed skating meet in Oakville. No gold medals this weekend but still a good finish for him. One of the races was 1500 metres which means 15 laps around the rink - I can't even begin to imagine. He's really quite the little athlete. There's certainly no lack of physical activity with those kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment