Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday, March 25th - Winter doesn't want to let go this year

I awoke to another dusting of new snow on the ground again this morning. It's currently -1 and we're only going to 0' later and stay cloudy all day. We had a bit of new snow yesterday morning as well but fortunately nothing like Friday. I actually ended up taking a snow day. We had such snow and wind on Friday that just prior to time for me to leave for work, they announced on the radio that they were considering taking the plows off the road - enough said. If it's not safe enough for a snow plow, then it sure isn't safe enough for me. A large number of businesses and services didn't open on Friday although all the car dealerships did. But it was worse out this end of the island and I think I made the right decision. It was more the blowing snow that was the issue causing white out conditions so I decided it just wasn't worth it.

Brenda and Bernie came over in the morning but it took Bernie three tries with his big heavy truck, to get in the lane. My little car would not have made it. He confirmed I'd made the right decision by staying home, after driving the short distance from their house.

Lloyd and Brenda spent the morning making sausages with some assistance from Bernie. As I wasn't meant to be there anyway, I just stayed out of the way and worked on my weaving. I had three table runners to work on  and I was able to finish the whole project by mid morning. I took them off the loom, serged the ends and then washed and dried them. Because the yarn is an acrylic that was actually originally meant for carpeting (it's a long story) they were quite rough to the touch when they were finished but once they were washed they softened right up. I'm quite pleased with the result but there are a couple of spots where I pushed on the wrong foot treadle and it shows, but overall I'm pretty  happy with the result.

Saturday morning was sunnier and quite different from the day before so I had no problem getting to work. It was a pretty ordinary day, not too busy but busy enough to pass the time fairy quickly. When I got home, Lloyd was out somewhere so I made a snack and sat down to watch a bit of TV while I ate. He'd gone out to get some lunch at a local restaurant and ended up chatting with someone he met there for quite a long time. By the time he got home it was after 4:00 so he had an interesting afternoon.

Sunday morning we woke once again to a light dusting of new snow. It was overcast and didn't look that nice out but Brenda and I had decided we should head out to Brookvale for one last ski. She picked me up around noon and we headed into town and picked up her cousin, Maureen. By the time we got to the ski park it had brightened up a bit and the weather was quite mild. The trails were actually in pretty good condition and we had no problems. It was a good day and when we finished the trail, the sky was filled with big patches of blue sky and then the sun came out. By the time we got back to town it was a gorgeous sunny day. We were ever so glad we made the decision to go out. It was the last day for skiing at Brookvale and the downhill area was filled with people enjoying the last day of their March Break. Today it's back to school for everyone.

All in all it was a pretty good weekend. I was hoping the ski park might be open for one more week but if we get any more mild weather the trails might not be so good anyway.  Too bad because the kids really enjoyed their time spent there a couple of years ago.  Oh well, another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment