Friday, November 28, 2014

Friday, November 28th - it was quite a ride - for November!

Conditions at 5:45: overcast and -3
Expected later: -1 and maybe a few flurries

Well, as we thought might happen, yesterday was a snow day for all the school kids (and bus drivers!)
It started late in the evening and by the time Lloyd got up to go to work at midnight, there was probably close to 15 cms of snow on the ground. The up side was that it wasn't very windy so the snow stayed put. By the time I got up at 5:00 it had rained some so the snow on the ground was compacted a bit and was very heavy and wet. There were icy patches under the slush on the road so driving was a little treacherous in spots. But I took my time and went in the back way so there was virtually no traffic. I picked up a couple of coffees and muffins and dropped in to see Lloyd before heading to work. The streets in town were in much better condition and just got better as the rain started again and continued. By lunch time the roads were bare and wet but then it started snowing and really blowing this time. When I got back from lunch I feared the drive home might be a challenge.I had an hour owed to me so decided this might be a great day to take it. Of course, by the time I left work at 4:00 it had stopped snowing, but the highway was snow covered in spots and the wind was very high. There were times a gust would hit the car and it was a bit of a struggle to stay in your own lane for a few seconds. I was glad that it was still daylight when I got home and that I made it safe and sound. The first few times driving in winter weather are a bit of a learning experience from the year before. But each time we head out, it's easier. The snow should be gone by the end of the next few days as warmer temperatures are on the way. The western part of the island got hit by old man winter much harder than we did, so for that we're grateful. We're not even going to talk about New Brunswick which was really battered, and many thousands of people were still without power as of 6:00 last evening.

Other than the weather, not a lot to talk about at the moment. I have a sewing project for my boss to finish tonight then I can get back on track with my own tasks.  I spent most of last evening working out in the craft room on a couple of things. My computer out there has been giving me some trouble of late, so I had the IT guy come out and look at it before he went off to dreamland. He knows what's wrong but whether or not he has a spare part to fix it, remains to be seen. With any luck, that will get fixed sooner rather than later.

The downstairs of the garage is slowly taking shape. There are racks on the walls with wrenches and screw drivers hanging about and it's all starting to look ever so organized. The cabinets he's built are holding a multitude of tools and equipment so there will soon be no excuse when I ask him to build me something! 

No comments:

Post a Comment