Monday, June 7, 2010

And it's still raining!

We ended last week with rain and we're starting out this week with more rain. We had high hopes for Saturday and we did get a little nice weather in the morning, but then back into the downpours again in the afternoon. I was able to get some of the grass cut but not all of it. I finished the back and the front, now I just have to do the side. But that will likely have to wait till sometime later in the week. I did manage to dig up a small patch at the side of the house to plant some herbs. I want to pick up a few more plants for that spot this weekend.

Friday was our weekly feast. I had a large piece of salmon in the freezer I wanted to use so I took it out on Thursday night. I got to Brenda's around 6:00 and we wrapped the fish in parchment paper, sealing in the whole thing with some veggies. Then we put some rice pilaf into the oven to cook first. The result was very good, but the best part, at least for me, was the delicious rhubarb pie that Brenda had made. It was slightly tart and was beautifully balanced with cold, sweet vanilla ice cream. YUMMMMMM!

Saturday night we helped with a wedding at the rec centre and by the time I got home it was around 10:00. After bouncing around on the lawn mower for half the day, and then being on my feet for most of the evening, I was ready for bed.

Sunday morning dawned overcast and dreary. For a brief few minutes it looked like the sun was going to shine, but that was short lived. I had been planning to try Brenda's bread recipe for quite some time, but just hadn't gotten around to it. So yesterday was the day. I got up at 6:30 and started a fire in the kitchen first, to warm the place up. Then I got right into the bread, and by lunch time it was all finished. I used smaller pans than Brenda uses so I think I have 15 loaves. I baked some and put them into the freezer, and some I put unbaked into the freezer. Now all I have to do is take a pan out, let it thaw and rise, then bake. At least that's the theory anyway. It works for mini hamburger buns so I don't see why it won't work for these. I'm going to try it later in the week.

The rest of my day was pretty lazy. I did some work on my resume and cover letter for a job I saw online on Friday. I plan to drop that off today. Then I had a wee nap, and then I baked some cookies I had made earlier in the week. They were the slice and back variety so it was pretty simple. I was waiting for Marlene to call me about something she has for sale she thought I might be interested in but it depended on her schedule. I'll email her today and see what works for her this week.

I gave Brenda a call and she came over a little after 7:00 and I was just making Carrot and Ginger soup with carrots that were left over from the wedding. So, we had coffee (cappuccino) and soup with some of my homemade bread. Then we followed this up with the World's Most Dangerous Chocolate Cake, and here's the recipe. Meghan (1), if you haven't already seen this, (it was going around the internet a year of so ago you have to try it! Here's the recipe:

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

4 tbsp flour
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1 egg
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug into the microwave and cook for 3 minutes (1000 watt oven - may take a few seconds longer with a lower wattage oven).
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed. Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
EAT! (I find this will actually serve 2 very nicely).
(I like to mix the ingredients in a small bowl first then put into the mug, which I've sprayed with cooking spray first)

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

BECAUSE NOW WE ARE ALL ONLY 5 MINUTES AWAY FROM CHOCOLATE CAKE AT ANY TIME OF THE DAY OR NIGHT!!!

1 comment:

  1. oh wow! That is DANGEROUS!! I will definitely give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete