Monday, June 14, 2010

Busy times on the island!


What a busy, but productive, few days it's been. We bypassed Friday Feast so I planned to spend the evening splitting the few logs that we couldn't split last year. The idea was once they were cut into smaller pieces, they might be better split in the spring. Such was not the case. I tried 5 pieces and not one will split. I don't know what kind of tree this was but it sure is hard! Brenda suggested it might be possible to cut them up with the chain saw, but I'll leave that to Lloyd.

Saturday was pretty productive. I got up early and got lots of laundry done, and I finally finished Meghan's quilt. The only thing left to do was the binding around the outside and now it's done. I laid it out on the floor to take a picture of it, and when I turned around after getting the camera, Cooper had plunked himself down in the middle. Apparently it passes the comfy criteria.

In the afternoon Brenda and I went out to Mount Stewart to participate in the Lady Slipper Walk. On the way we stopped by the Trailside which was having a Yard Sale inside. It appears the place has been sold. Rumour has it that a chef from Ontario and her husband, a bit of a handyman, are in the process of buying it. The hope is they plan to do the same type of venue that Doug was doing. We wish them well (whoever they might be).

The Lady Slipper Walk took us back out our way. We drove down a forest road and came to a stop in the middle of trees. I have no idea how he knew where to stop. But we did and after a brief trek through the woods we came upon Lady Slippers. I'd not seen them before so it was quite a thrill. I was surprised to see that there are Trilliums here as well, although they were finished blooming. On our way back we stopped at the Spirit Spring, which just happens to be on my road.

After Brenda dropped me off, we had a tight window of time to get ready for the Festival of Small Halls at the Rec Centre. What a great evening! We really enjoyed some wonderfully talented musicians. I especially enjoyed the fact that when I walked in all the women who work at the rec centre were there and everyone greeted me very warmly. It's nice to feel like you're a little part of something, to go into someplace where people know your name.

Sunday morning dawned bright and beautiful, although a little cool to start off. Brenda and I headed out to go to the Winter River, over in Tracadie. On our way we stopped at the Trailside again and Brenda picked up one of the mugs for her aunt, and I found a couple of kids bicycles. They may need new tubes in the tires but they were only $5.00 each so if I can get them rideable, the kids will have a great time with them.

We arrived at the river and put our boats in the water. It was a gorgeous morning and we were treated to a spectacular show by the eagles in the area. We must have seen at least 2 dozen. What a magnificent sight. We followed the river to it's source, a journey of roughly 2 hours. Just before we reached the end, we came across a log cabin that Brenda had last visited about 15 years ago. The fellow who owns it leaves it open for anyone to use, so we went inside and looked around and while we were there we had our snack. There's trails that wind all around the woods in the area. We went on a short walk but neither of us had appropriate shoes and we'd left the bug spray in the boat. But that will be something we'll need to explore again before the summer is over.

When we got back and loaded the truck, it was almost 5:00 so we stopped at Rob Roys on our way home to have something to eat. Not a great choice. We decided we won't go back there again. Let's just say the food did not live up to our expectations.

Thus ended another busy weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Hi The quilt turned out great. I have to admit I wasn't too sure about it when I saw the materials last winter but it turned out really beautiful Meghan 2 is a lucky girl and better yet Cooper approves. Meghan1 do you remember going to the cabin with the Campbells?

    ReplyDelete