Sunday, June 27, 2010

Happy Sunday!



Conditions at 11:00 am - occasional sprinkling of rain and 14*
Expected later: cloudy and a high of 22*


It's Sunday morning and all is well. It's been a nice weekend so far but today the rain is trying really hard to dampen everyone's spirits but it's not really trying hard enough. Every once in a while we get a little sprinkle and then it's gone again. Lloyd is outside cutting wood and I'm waiting for cookies to bake in the oven. Does it get any more Norman Rockwell than that?

Friday night Lloyd picked me up after work and we went downtown for supper. We walked along Victoria Row and decided on a little Italian place that had a special that appealed to both of us. So after a lovely dinner of seared scallops, osso bucco on risotto Milanese, washed down with an Australian Shiraz, followed by tiramisu and cappuccino, we waddled back to the car for the trip home. We had contemplated going out after dinner but we were just too full. And it had been a very long day for Lloyd, so we just came home.

Saturday morning we got up early and headed into town to the Farmer's Market. While there we ran into Chef Michael Smith, and I chatted with him for a minute. Lloyd was in a hurry as he was pressed for time. He was going to the COPA event in Summerside. So after a quick tour of the market, he headed out and I was off in search of a blade for the lawnmower. After stops at 4 places to find one, I finally got lucky at the Home Hardware in Stratford. Another stop at Sobey's and the Liquor store and then home to make dinner. Brenda and Linda were coming over and I wanted to try my hand at Seafood Linguine. We had a salad first, with an asian influenced vinaigrette, topped with sesame crusted seared scallops (cooked by Brenda ) and then the linguine. We had crepes with a cream cheese and fresh strawberry filling, drizzled with chocolate sauce for dessert. Again all washed down with white wine, then tea and coffee.
A splendid time was had by all!
I hadn't seen Linda since last fall and there have been some MAJOR changes in her life. Let's just say some men can be SUCH jerks, and leave it at that.

Yesterday on my way home, I stopped by my neighbours place to pick up some strawberries. They're not yet ready for picking your own, but they've been picking a few. I have to just say I feel so foolish for complaining last weekend about a sore knee. This woman has recently had her second leg amputation due to complications from diabetes. It's a humbling experience to see her wheel around her kitchen in her wheelchair, going about her everyday tasks. Sometimes we just need to be reminded how truly lucky we are.

Well, my second tray of cookies is ready so I'd best get outside and cut some grass!

No comments:

Post a Comment