Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's such a small world

When I was in Regina an interesting meeting occurred. The College of the North Atlantic from Newfoundland, has a campus in Qatar, in the middle east. The past three years there have been four students and two instructors attend our conference from there. The girls are all dressed in the traditional garb , but underneath, they are typical teenagers - literally. They wear jeans and running shoes under those long black robes and they love to shop while they are here.
This year one of the instructors, Sandra, caught up with our group on Thursday night because we were wearing our "Anne" hats. This was her clue that perhaps we were from the island. Turns out she went to school with a cousin of one of the girls in our group. Later on in the weekend, the girls from Qatar had a display of treats from their country to share with everyone and they were doing Henna tatoos. I was busy with the Grand River girls so wasn't able to participate, but later on Saturday night Sandra was doing one for another participant. I went over and asked if I could also get one. As we chatted we discovered that she is a good friend of Belinda, who works in accounting at UPEI. So Tuesday morning I went over to see Belinda and show off Sandra's handy work, that had been done in Regina.
It truly is a small world!

Yesterday it rained all day but we really needed it. When I was watching the local news on TV they indicated that may was much, much drier than usual. Now that most of the crops are in, we needed the rain to get them going. I don't have a garden yet (I'm still hopeful) but I did plant some more rhubarb so this will be helpful. I don't know if it will grow or not, it sat around in the package for quite a while waiting for warmer weather and the roots looked pretty dry but I'm optimistic that it will grow. I'm going to see what I can get done this weekend about getting a little patch of ground dug up. Even just enough for some lettuce and some beans and radishes - just enough to make my own fresh salads would be great. But my first priority on Saturday will be cutting the grass again.

Brenda came over last night and we had nacho chips and salsa (she brought them with her as she hadn't had any supper yet). We had tea and got caught up on all the happenings in the area while I was away and discussed what concerts we should attend this summer. I just got he Buzz yesterday and it's going to take a while to get through it, there is SO much going on this summer. One of the ones we have to go to is Nancy White at the Victoria Playhouse. Lloyd and I saw her a few years ago in Ontario and she was absolutely hilarious.

Yesterday was an extremely busy day at work and today will just as much so. Tomorrow morning (Thursday) I have to be at work by 7:00 to put out directional signs for the people attending our seminar. It's going to be a long day, but something different so that will be interesting.

Tonight I'm going with the girls to see "Sex and the City". I'm looking forward to it. I found out on the weekend that Kristi (Jana's daughter) has been accepted at NYU and starts in the fall. She had applied to a school in London and Australia as well so she had some choices to make. She's going to be living the whole New York experience. What fun for her, although I'm sure it's probably a little scary as well. But on the up side it gives Jana an excuse to visit New York more often. I may have to meet her there sometime!

Speaking of which, it looks like I'm going to Paris for my birthday ( or at least that's the hope). Patti has a flight there at the end of June to check it all out and find out where everything is. Then she'll try to get one the weekend of the 30th of July and James and I will join her. I'm really looking forward to that. I love travelling with James - he's so much fun to travel with. He loves to see new places and just wants to see everything. He never gets bored and never complains. I know he'll want to see the world when he gets older (or at least what he missed as a kid). I don't think he realizes that not everyone can just take off for Paris for the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Have fun at the movie tonight! It's lots of fun!
    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete