Friday, October 15, 2010

I'm so spoiled!


Conditions at 5:30 am - clear and 5 degrees
Expected later - rain this afternoon and 12*

Yesterday turned out to be beautiful. It was only 13* but the sun still has some warmth in it and it was a gorgeous day.  I was asked to take someone up to Hunter River in the afternoon. I had no problem with taking a nice leisurely drive through the country side and enjoying the view and the sun.
Brenda was off yesterday and is again today because it's PD days again.  Because she's not in the union, she didn't have to attend union meetings so is off both days. I think she had a crazy day yesterday but she had time to make some chicken pot pies to put in her freezer and she thoughtfully made a small one for me. I was late getting home so I stopped by and picked it up, right out of the oven, literally. So I had a nice treat when I got home and what a treat it was. I don't know how she makes her pastry but it's always so very flaky. I need her to give me a lesson on how she does it as mine never turns out like that. I'm very spoiled to have good friends who do thoughtful things like that for me and I truly appreciate it.

We're still supposed to get lots of wind and rain so I made sure everything was secured last night before I came in.  This morning it's lovely outside but I'm sure that's not going to last.

One of the things I love about opening up the blog first thing in the morning is looking to see where people have come in from. I know that most of them have just stumbled upon it when searching for something and a string of words has brought them here, but it's amazing where they come from. This morning there was a visitor from Pefferlaw, and I can only assume that's my friend Cheryl. But you never know, it could just be a coincidence. I've had people from all around the world view my site and I'm sure they are probably thinking, here's another one of those people who thinks their every little insignificant  action is important. But I assure you, I don't.  As I've stated many times, my intention with this was to keep my family in touch with what is happening here on the island.  I admit I had no idea from where people were viewing until I put that feed on it.  Fortunately no one has left a message yet, telling me what a waste of web space this is!  I love that we are now all SO connected, in such a tiny way.  I'm wondering what I should do when Lloyd moves here? He's my main reason for doing this, or should I keep it going? We'll see when the time comes. 

It's Friday today, and I'm working tomorrow. I received a voice message from Chris from the liquor store job and I emailed him yesterday and told him to take me off his list. He needs people on Friday afternoons from 4:00 and Saturdays from 12:00. I've had to turn him down now 3 times and I think it's just not going to work for him to have someone so unavailable.  And besides, now that I work some Saturdays at Honda, I truly appreciate the weekends I do have off. And getting home so much later, makes for a short evening.

As I drive around these days, I'm able to see all the fall decorations people have around their homes. Some are so beautiful that I want to take my camera with me and take some photos. Some folks are very creative and it's not just the halloween ones. I saw one yesterday in town with bales of straw, pumpkins and scarecrows but the way it was put together was fabulous.  Eventually, when I retire, I hope to be able to have the time to do things like that. I know I should have all the time in the world now, but it just doesn't seem to be that way. It will also be easier when there's someone here to help with such things.  I think Fall decorations are my favorite. The last wedding that I helped at used fall as their theme. One corner was filled with bales of straw, pumpkins, sunflowers, etc and it looked wonderful. The centre pieces were simply glass jars filled with red sand, and inside were some tall dried grassy pieces, and two artificial sunflowers, all tied up with a raffia bow. Very simple, quite inexpensive and most effective. The decorator was at the hall the next morning and they were going to be thrown out so we asked if they'd leave them for the tables at our spaghetti supper. They worked quite well. Hard to believe we'll soon be seeing Christmas decorations.When we lived in Guelph, we had a neighbour named Phil, who always put his Christmas decorations up the day after Halloween and would start lighting them right away.  I know there are lots out there like him.  We'll see how long it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment