Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Well, that was an experience



Conditions at 5:30 am - clear skies, lots of stars, still windy and 4*
Expected later - 8* and sunny

Yesterday I went to the dermatologist to have these growths removed from my eyelids. Let me tell you, it was no picnic. There were 4 on one eye, and 3 on the other. The procedure required each one to be frozen by injection, then cut off, then cauterized.  The needle for the freezing hurt the most, as it was injected  7 times, the cutting was okay, as I didn't feel that part, but then the cauterization was a little unpleasant, not for the pain but for the smell of burning flesh - MINE!  When he finished that part he started on the little nobbly bits he found elsewhere on my face and neck. Because of their small size, he was able to simply burn those off, no freezing required, but - did I mention they were BURNED off?  I was ever so glad to get out of there!
Afterward  my eyes were quite painful, but the kind pharmacist at Shoppers Drug Mart suggested that extra strength Tylenol would do the trick, and she was right. I came home, took two, and slept for an hour and a half. When I woke up, it was much better. Now this morning they are a little tender but not really painful, and a lot of the redness has gone, although I still look somewhat like I've been in a fight but it's definitely much better.
I had planned to move some wood around yesterday and fill up my rack inside, but the wind and cold on my eyes really was unpleasant so that didn't happen. Fortunately I have enough until Wednesday or Thursday. Hopefully the wind will have died down by then. It's been blowing for days now.

Tonight in our class we're doing what we were supposed to do last week - crepes. I've been searching everywhere for the small offset spatulas but to no avail. I have one small one and one large one and we'll have to manage with those. I've tried everywhere. Even Ferguson's a store here very similar to the STOP store in Kitchener, ( one of my MOST favorite places to shop) doesn't have any in stock, but apparently they are on order.  I've looked everywhere else in town and there just are none. I'm off this morning in search of fresh berries for the strawberry crepes. I think we can use any fruit and the strawberries we get this time of year are not very nice, so I'll see what I can find to substitute. If I have to, we can always use drained, canned peaches. We're also doing a curried chicken crepe that I make often because they are quite tasty and an easy and quick way to use up leftover chicken.
Here's the recipe for the basic crepes and the chicken ones. Tomorrow we'll have the one for the strawberry ones.

Basic Crepes


½ cup all purpose flour
Pinch salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup 2% milk
1/3 cup water
½ tsp butter or soft margarine

In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and add egg. While whisking, gradually add milk and water, whisking until mixture is smooth.

Heat small nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and brush over bottom of pan. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of batter and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan. You should have just enough batter to lightly coat bottom of pan; pour off excess.  Shake pan and cook until edges begin to curl and crepe no longer sticks to pan. Turn crepe and cook for a few seconds or until golden.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Repeat with remaining batter.  You shouldn’t need to add any more butter.

Crepes can be made in advance; stack between waxed paper and refrigerate for 1 day or freeze up to 1 month. Makes 8 crepes.

From  The Light Hearted Cookbook
By Anne Lindsay

Curried Chicken Crepes

This is a delicious dish to consider when you want a make ahead dish for brunch, lunch or dinner.  If you keep crepes in your freezer, and have any leftover cooked chicken or turkey, these can be a quick and easy dinner. Cooked turkey, shrimp or pork can be used instead of chicken.

2 tsp soft butter or margarine
½ medium onion, chopped
½ cup diced celery
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp curry powder (or to taste)
¼ tsp salt
½ cup chicken stock
1 ½ cups diced cooked chicken
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup low fat plain yogurt
8 basic crepes

In saucepan, melt butter; over medium heat, cook onion and celery, stirring until onion is softened.  Add flour, curry powder, and salt and cook, stirring for one minute.

Whisk in chicken stock, and bring to simmer while whisking.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in chicken, sour cream and yogurt. Taste and add more curry powder if desired.

Place 2 or 3 large spoonfuls of chicken mixture across centre of each crepe. Roll up and place seam side down in lightly greased shallow baking dish.

Bake in 375* oven for 20 minutes or microwave at high power for 2 minutes or till heated through. Top each serving with a spoonful of yogurt. Makes 4 servings of 2 crepes each. 


From The Lighthearted Cookbook by
Anne Lindsay

1 comment: