Monday, October 4, 2010

Time flies when you're having fun



Conditions at 6:00 am - clear with very bright stars still out and 6*
Expected later - 14* and a mix of sun and cloud

It's hard to believe it's Monday already. It was a busy weekend but at the same time, a relaxing one. Friday night Brenda and I went out to the Old Dublin Pub and had a beer and something to eat. It was such a beautiful day we were able to sit outside at a table. They have a little screened in part upstairs and you can look over and see people walking by. We needed our jackets but it was still quite nice out there.
I had all kinds of plans for Saturday. I had to wait for the Shaw fellow to arrive to hook up my PVR so because I had to stay in all day anyway, I planned to do lots of cleaning stuff. Well, it turns out he called at 8:00 to say he'd be there within the hour and he was. So I had the rest of the day to myself. It started raining quite hard before he got there  so that finished any outside work. For some unknown reason I was quite tired  and really didn't feel like doing anything so that's exactly what I did - nothing. I did manage to vacuum the living room and sweep everywhere else but that's it. I tried out the PVR and taped a couple of things and then watched them and by then it was time to get showered and dressed to go to the rec centre.  I got home from there around 10:20 and stayed up long enough to watch an episode of "Good Eats" that for some reason only comes on here really late at night so I haven't seen Alton in a long time. I love that show.(and that PVR!)
Sunday I managed to sleep in till 8:00 so I guess I must have needed it. Fortunately I was up when Brenda called and said that Bernie wanted to take the two of us out for breakfast.We enjoyed a lovely breakfast sitting in a nice sunny corner in a very busy Peakes Tea. I have to say, I'm really spoiled sometimes.
By the time we got back it was almost time to go to the rec centre to help prep for the Spaghetti Supper.
They hadn't done this before and had a vague idea of what to do. On top of that,  they had no idea how many tickets were sold so we didn't know if we were expecting 10 or 100.  In the end it was a huge success. There was a great turn out and everyone was happy with the food. Brenda served the spaghetti and I was cooking it in the kitchen. We didn't want it to get too gummy and stick together so I was busy with three big pots cooking one package at a time. It made one heck of a mess but it worked.  We were really busy for about an hour and a half (it ran from 4 till 6) and the time went really fast, but we sure could have used a bit more help. We had no clue it would be so successful, and we got a lot of  positive comments. There are a couple of things we might do differently next time but for the most part it was a huge success. Financially it was well worth the work. One step closer to the playground.

*****************************************************

On Friday I got the following email from Patti. It seems I wasn't the only one on the radio last week.

"We've been meaning to call you, but it's been pretty busy around here.  Back in the spring, they announced that Hedley was coming to the Sleeman center in September, and James really wanted to go, so as the concert got closer, he would comment how he wished he could go, with this sad look in his eyes.  Well, yesterday as I was driving to school to pick them up, the radio said the first caller through would win tickets.  So I called, and got through!  I was the first caller, but it wasn't going to be easy, because I had to sing the chorus from Hedley's song Cha-Ching.  Well, I guess it's a week for radio embarrassments, because I sang live on the air, and the studio audience decided I did a good enough job to win.  Needless to say when I told James, he was thrilled. Not only did we win 2 tickets, but we got to go up on stage with Hedley when they sang Cha Ching and sing with them.  They had several winners from this week, so there was about 15 people that got to go up.  I didn't have my camera (boo-hoo), but Jen from the radio took some pictures, and she said she would post them on her blog, so I will try and get a picture.
So I guess we are both famous this week!  James had a great time, I'm sure he will tell you all about it."
 James may not remember but this is the second time he's performed on stage at the Sleeman Centre. One time when he was really little, I took him to see some children's performers, who's names I can't remember now.(but I know it's in a scrapbook somewhere!).  They did a song about a train and they made the sound of a train whistle in it. James was crazy about trains when he was little and had this wooden train whistle. We were sitting in the front row and he insisted on bringing his train whistle with him. So he pulled it out of his bag just as they started singing the train song and when they saw him, they told him to come up on stage   so I lifted him up onto the stage and he marched very purposefully back and forth across the stage as the song was being sun . I so regretted not taking a camera with me. I think he was only about 4 at the time.

**************************************************************

On the McCartney web site I listen to sometimes, there's Beatle news. When I was looking there yesterday, I saw that Geoff Baker, who worked for the Beatles and McCartney for years, is putting together a book of stories from fans. There was a request for fans to submit their favorite Beatles stories so I submitted my favorite. This morning I got a reply which I'm sure is automatically generated but at least I know it was received. Good marketing on Geoff's part because now I'll have to buy the book when it's published just to see if our story made it. Here's how it went:


Received this morning:

Thank you Sandy, what a revealing story. All the best.
geoff

On Sat 02/10/10 2:32 PM , Sandy Denny sandydenny2@yahoo.com sent:


Hi Geoff
I think this is a fabulous idea and I'd love to share my favorite (of many) Beatles stories with you. I'm a 58 year old Beatles/Macca fan and have been since their first visit to North America the year I turned 12. I live in Canada and have been fortunate to see Paul live 12 times including twice at Earls Court Arena in London and outside the palace at the Queen's Golden Jubilee.
About four years ago, my 5 year old grandson and I were travelling by car from Ontario to Prince Edward Island, a 3 day drive when you take the scenic route.
His other grandmother loaned him a portable DVD player to keep him occupied on the road. He brought along several movies that he liked and I brought a couple, including Yellow Submarine. I figured it's a cartoon, he might like it.
Well, part way through the second day, he put the movie on and that was it - he was hooked.  He watched it over and over and by the third time he knew all the words to all the songs. I still smile when I think of the two of us driving down the highway singing along together, at the top of our lungs, to all the songs in the movie. It was so precious to me to share something that I loved so much with him and having him discover it for himself. It wasn't my influence that made him like it, I just provided the opportunity to experience the music.  I will always remember that trip as a very special time in both our lives.


Thanks so much for letting me share this with someone who knew the boys so well.
My life hasn't always turned out the way I might have hoped, although in the end  it did, but through it all, Paul has supplied the soundtrack for my entire life, in one form or another. 
Sandy Denny
A true fan in Prince Edward Island, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment