Thursday, October 7, 2010

Quite a transformation


Conditions at 5:30 - raining and13*
Expected later - 16* and more rain


When I got home from work last night, I had a voice message from Richard. He wanted to come over and return some movies he borrowed and pick up some new ones, as he and Daralen were going to be at the store for a little while. I had heard that he's put a lot of 'stuff' in and I was curious so I called and told him I'd meet them there. Well, you'd never imagine it's the same place.
Richard has a 'thing' for carved wooden pieces of art or what have you, and has been slowly collecting them for a number of years, mostly from second hand stores such as Value Village or from garage sales.


He's spent the summer cleaning and painting the interior of the store and although it looks the same on the outside it's a total transformation inside. He has all his wood neatly sorted and arranged in the back for his chairs that he builds, and he's lined all the shelves in the store with his collection of stuff. I think his plan is to open for business on weekends and sell his chairs but he also has this great amount of other stuff.


Last night he and Daralen were putting stuff up on the walls, but there really isn't a lot of wall space for hanging things as it's mostly taken up with shelves.  Of course the coffee pot is still there, and he plans to open on Saturday and Sunday mornings for coffee. It's really starting to come together  and I'm really pleased for him. It looks great.


I also like his choice of name "The Barkalounge".  So far, I'm the only one who's got the pun in the name. I'll leave it at that to see who can figure it out. If you can't here's a link to help out.  http://www.barcalounger.com/index.php


Tonight I'll stop at the grocery store and pick up what I need for Tuesday's cooking class, as everything will be closed when I get back. I'll do whatever prep I have to do on Monday afternoon.  With any luck at all, I'll be home a little after 2:00.  If not, who knows.



Yesterday afternoon, when Pam came in to work, around 1:00 she asked if I'd taken my lunch yet. I told her I hadn't so she gave me the keys to her car and told me to take it for a ride. Those who know me are aware that I've wanted a two seater convertible sports car forever. I think it started when I was in college and one of the girls was given an MG by her father (her parents had recently divorced) and I loved that car.  Most of us took the bus, and for her to have this totally awesome car was amazing. So when I saw the car Pam drives, I asked her one day what it's like to drive. So she suggested that I could take it for a drive one day. Well, yesterday the sun was shining and it was pretty mild so I took it out for a spin. What a blast!  It's very low to the ground, and you almost need a can-opener to get out of it, but it was awesome. I called Lloyd while I was out and his only comment was "Don't get any ideas".  He has nerve!  Can you imagine how much fun James and I would have had driving out to PEI in something like that? Of course we would have had to put Cooper in the trunk!





No comments:

Post a Comment