Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Week number six


Conditions at 6:00 am - cloudy and 8*
Expected later - showers clearing at lunch and a high of 10*

Week number six of our class, and we're doing pastry tonight. There are as many recipes and techniques for pastry as there are cooks. We're going to try 3 recipes, some will use lard and some will use shortening and we'll compare the results.  We're doing quiche and butter tarts. Recipes will follow tomorrow.

This morning I have someone coming in to give me information on coffee machines. I hope to bring in some type of machine to supply coffee for the customers. If I can pull this one off, I'll be everyone's hero! Especially with the cold weather coming, it will be nice to be able to have a nice hot coffee while folks wait for their cars. We had coffee a long time ago but no one looked after it and it got messy and was not a good thing but I know the technology has improved and I'm sure I can make this work.  We'll see.

When I was in Cambridge on Thanksgiving weekend, I think I mentioned that I ran into my friend Jolene and it was a very emotional meeting. I was copied on an email she sent out to some of my old admin group and it really made my day yesterday.

My Thanksgiving Gift

The family had decided to have a potluck at our house and I had volunteered to cook the turkey and the ham.  I woke up early on the Saturday and decided to go out to the Zehrs (the one on Conestoga Blvd) to pick up what I needed before the rush. 
 
I was feeling a sad this Thanksgiving with Angie on my mind a lot.  I don’t even remember celebrating Thanksgiving last year – we were so worried about Angie.  She had been told on October 6th that there was nothing more that could be done and that she had two months to several months to live. 
 
As I turned to go into another aisle to pick up cranberry sauce, I happened to glance to my left and a familiar face came into focus but I knew she had moved provinces away and wouldn’t be in the area.   This was a good friend who ran the 60 km Weekend to End Breast Cancer with Angie’s picture close to her heart not once but twice and who had opened her heart to Angie and me during the five-year battle Angie had with breast cancer.  She was exactly the right person I needed to see that day.   She is someone we all know, love and miss.  How lucky was I to have met up with her!  It was our good friend Sandy Denny!    At first it didn’t make sense to me that Sandy and her husband would be here then within seconds we both saw the recognition in our faces.  What a joy to see her!
 
 My sister Angie was with me that day and gave me the gift of hugs from Sandy.   I was smiling the rest of the day and had a great Thanksgiving.  

 Thanks Sandy!


No comments:

Post a Comment