Friday, December 3, 2010

A happy coincidence


Conditions at 6:00 am - overcast and 6*
Expected later - light rain and 7 or 8 * (depends which source you check)

Last night I was looking through a pile of papers that has managed to accumulate in my address index folder and while sifting through the business cards I came across one for a hair dresser. When I looked at the address, it looked familiar, and then it dawned on me that it was Charmaine, from our cooking class. I knew the address as I had dropped off a cookbook to her one evening. I badly need a hair cut and some damage control done on my overgrown eyebrows, and it seems she does that as well. It looks like her hours are pretty flexible so I think I'll give her a call. I'm having trouble fitting those kinds of things in to my work schedule so she just might be the answer. I know several women that  go to her shop so I think I'll give it a try. I'm going to call her today.
***************************************************
I was talking to Lloyd yesterday and he was extremely excited about a restaurant he has just discovered in Mississauga. He's spending all his free time cooking and working on new recipes in his new apartment. He has a microwave and a counter top range but no oven. So he went out and bought a small counter top convection oven (similar to the one I sold in the garage sale - figures!). He's been cooking up a storm. He was also raving about some different ingredients and things he's been able to find. I told him he's going to find PEI pretty boring when he gets here - we just don't have all those exotic things, but on the other hand we really are starting to get little places that are catering to the newcomers from other countries. Maybe by the time he gets here, we'll have even more. There is one little store that has ethnic ingredients that Brenda heard about, in the Owl's Hollow plaza, that I haven't yet checked out. I actually forgot about it and I need to visit but maybe I'll wait till Lloyd gets here. Brenda and I will be looking forward to a couple of Lloyd meals when he gets here, before Bernie and the girls arrive.
**************************************************
This mild weather has been amazing. Yesterday was supposed to be rainy but it was clear all day. Wednesday was also clear and for part of the morning the sun was shining and it was beautiful. In fact when I went down to the bank, I just wore a sweater, it was that nice out. Of course I was just going in and out of the car and not outside for long periods of time, but I had taken my winter coat that day and it was just too hot with the sun shining in the car windows. Hope this weather hangs around for a while.
***************************************************
Yesterday morning I had to drive a man out to Cornwall, out past the Tim Hortons and the grocery store in the little plaza. Just past there, on the left, there's an antique place, that is closing for the winter and they had a sign out that everything in the store was 50% off. So on my way back I stopped in. I found a whole bunch of ladies handkerchiefs. I use them for a craft I do for baby and wedding shower gifts, and they are almost impossible to find these days. I was able to pick up 11 of them for $1.00 each so I was extremely pleased.  They also had some old doilies and table runners that were in excellent condition for $2.00 each. I'm such a sucker for old linens - I love those things so I came home with a whole bag full of stuff. There was a lovely old hall stand that I loved but I just have no where to put it. Considering the damage I could have done in there, I think I did well. The regular prices of some of the stuff was not bad so at 50% off, it was quite tempting.
****************************************************
I finished my Christmas cards last night and can now get them into the mail. I'm not usually this organized when it comes to the cards but this year it helped to be working on Saturdays. I did those last Saturday. I need to find something to work on tomorrow. I think I'll ask Pam this afternoon if it would be okay if I brought in some hand sewing I have to do and work on it at my desk. I think she might be understanding about it so close to Christmas. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment