Friday, December 24, 2010

Twas the night before Christmas!






Conditions at 6:30 -  rainy and windy (what else is new!) and 1*
Expected later - 2* and MAYBE a little snow

Okay, it's the morning before and "The children were nestled all snug in their beds" - well at least that's where they are right now. Everyone arrived precisely as planned yesterday morning at 9:02. Lloyd met us at the airport and the Honda Shuttle whisked them back to pick up the car. Unfortunately I had to stay at work. On my way to work, I dropped Cooper off at the groomers and Lloyd and James went and picked him up later in the morning.

My day at work went pretty fast, actually, as I was very busy. I spent very little time in the dealership as I was running errands all over town for everyone. If I wasn't dropping off or picking up parts, I was delivering Christmas stuff or picking up Christmas stuff. The weather was terrible and the traffic was horrendous but it made the day go by fairly quickly.

Patti met me at 5:30 at work and we went to Walmart to pick up a few last minute items. She'd already been to the mall and she said it was crazy busy. Walmart really wasn't so bad. Then we headed downtown for something to eat. We found a parking spot right on Queen Street beside the Royal Bank so it was a quick walk (in the rain, of course) to the Gahan House where we sat in one of the lovely little alcoves so it was nice and secluded and we could chat without having to shout at each other. It was a great opportunity to catch up a bit without the kids interrupting.  When we left there, we went to the liquor store to pick up a couple of things that Lloyd had requested, then it was off to the Superstore for one last trip. Fortunately it was late enough that it wasn't so busy. After picking up what we hope is the last of it, we headed back home. It was 9:20 when we stopped in at the Van Gaals to say hello but Brenda was already gone to bed. She'd had a very busy day and another one was coming up today. Meghan was up and visiting with a friend so we chatted with them for a minute then went home. I'll see her this morning when Tristen and I go over to pick up "the big chicken".

The last two years, James has requested we have duck at Christmas, but I hadn't heard anything about it till last night. So when we were at the store I looked at ducks, then decided it was time to broaden his culinary horizons.  I bought him a Cornish Game Hen to try.

I had asked Patti what they did all day and she said she and Greg had a lengthy nap. So when I got home I asked Lloyd how his day was looking after the kids  and he said "I don't know, I had a nap".  Seems he went off to have a nap when Patti was sleeping on the couch. He thought Greg was in the bathroom but in fact, he was upstairs napping as well.  Apparently the kids did an awesome job of keeping themselves amused. They were all still up when we got back from town, so I gave James his quilt that I made for his birthday. He was very happy with it, especially since he has a favorite blanket at home and he was  a little disappointed that he forgot to bring it with him. He was also given his new guitar last night as it's his Christmas and birthday present combined (His birthday was on Wednesday). He was very happy to get that as well.

Now it is Christmas Eve and so far I'm the only one up so it's giving me an excellent chance to spend some quality time by myself. James got a big kite for his birthday, with a span of something like 2 metres. He desperately wants to take it outside but it says on the package not to use it in winds over 40 km. He's so slim, it would probably pick him up and carry him across the river.

I think I hear some movement downstairs so I guess I'd better go and get the fire going.




Have a  happy holiday everyone 
and a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment