Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thursday, September 13th - and the warm weather continues

It's a pleasant 15' this morning and we should reach a warm 23' later that will feel like 26'. More of the same as we had yesterday.
It was a gorgeous day and I really hated to have to leave for work at 10:30 although it was nice to have the morning. It would have been great to have had the whole day. The repair man came by and it turns out there are two plugs that plug into each other at the back of the stove, underneath near the bottom drawer. It appears they came apart somewhat and weren't connecting properly.Probably a result of trying to cram too much into the drawer.  Once they were back in their rightful places, everything was fine. Good to know it wasn't anything too serious.
When he walked in he said, "Why two stoves?"  I just looked at him and said "Why not?" I'm sure he's seen stranger things than that going into peoples homes to make repairs.

On my way home, I stopped in at my hairdressers, who is also a member of our cooking class.  We were talking about the upcoming season and she suggested a couple of things that she might like to see us cover this year. Brenda had made the suggestion a while ago that I contact the existing girls and find out what they would like to see investigated this year. I thought that was a great idea, but being the procrastinator that I tend to be sometimes, I forgot and now it's a week away. So last night I finally sent out that email and hopefully I'll get some more ideas.

Speaking of cooking, yesterday one of my email messages dealt with cooking and cookbooks. It had a list of cookbooks I can order for the Kindle. Now I have both a Kindle and a Kobo and I love reading on my ereaders. But I can't imagine a cookbook on there. There's just something about a paper page with a recipe and a colour photo (sometimes). I like nothing more, when I need inspiration, than sitting down and reading a good cook book. I've been known to read them from front to back like a novel. How pathetic is that? But some cookbook authors have such a literary style to them and they make such an interesting read, not to mention the additional information that is given in the stories that can accompany a recipe.
Apart from that, the best part of picking up an old recipe book are the notes in the margins sometimes made to clarify something, or modify an ingredient or a temperature or a cooking  time and the stains and splatters on well loved pages that indicate, without at doubt, that THIS recipe is a winner, judging by the number of times it's been taken off the shelf and used. I have over 200 cookbooks in my 'collection' (or some would call my obsession!) and I can't imagine how boring it would be to have to look at all of them electronically. Some of them are gifts given to me by friends or family who truly understand how much I love a new cookbook and many have a story behind them. Not only are they a source of information, they can mean a walk down memory lane. A favorite book or a favorite recipe can bring back memories of memorable meals and good times with friends. So I'll just have to clean off another shelf because I'm running out of room.

Just some of the collection - I really need to organize these a little better.
That's a great job for a rainy Sunday afternoon or someday when I retire!



No comments:

Post a Comment