Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wednesday, September 12th - a short day today

It's 6:25 am and the sun is just starting to rise across the river. The days are so quickly getting shorter. It was a beautiful sunny warm day yesterday and will be the same today. Right now it's 12' and we should reach a sunny 22' later.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the Twin Towers attacks and I remember that morning several people calling me to ask if Patti was flying that day and was she safe. Ironically, she ended up flying to New York yesterday. She was supposed to fly to St. John's NL but all flights in and out were cancelled because of Hurricane Leslie (well, I guess it was just a tropical storm but it still managed to do lots of damage).  So she was rescheduled and sent first to Boston and then to New York.
We were texting back and forth and reflecting on trips we've taken to New York and decided we need to take James there some year on his birthday to experience the same Christmas trip he had when he was almost a year old. Patti had a layover in NYC so James and I tagged along and we had a great trip. She says Meghan also wants to go to New York but I think that should be a different trip. I think she would prefer the warm weather and strolling down 5th Avenue with her shopping bags. That's how I picture Meghan's first trip to the Big Apple. I still have very vivid memories of my trip there last summer and the other night I was watching the season finale of Glee. At the end, Rachel is in New York in front of the Plaza Hotel. She's standing in front of a fountain and I thought, that looks really familiar. Then as the camera panned around I realized it was the exact same spot that Jana, Kristi and I waited for our tour bus. You could even see the street where our tour bus parked. It was great to have that memory so suddenly brought back. It was a great time.

One of my ovens has decided to quit working so the repair man is coming this morning to look at it. As a result, I'm taking a few hours off work until he's been here. I could have gone in and he was willing to drop by and look at it without me be having to be here, but what the heck. I'll enjoy my morning at home for a change in the middle of the week.

Lloyd had a really great first day on the job yesterday. He feels his new boss was suitably impressed with his skills and that he's not a kid just out of school. He actually came home in a great mood, albeit a bit tired and I suspect he'll have a few aching muscles for a number of days until he gets used to using those muscles again. But it went well and he's pleased.

After supper we went over to check out my poor little garden.  It's not as badly overgrown with weeds as I expected, and I suspect the hot dry weather is to thank for that. But I have lots of tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, a couple of zucchinis and at least 5 or 6 great looking butternut squash. I'm really pleased about that. We picked the ripe tomatoes and a few green ones, and will likely make some salsa with some of those. There are still quite a number of green ones still on the vines as well.  There are some beets still in the ground, and that's pretty much it. There are a couple of tiny peppers but they really didn't do that well. It will be much easier next year when we have the garden here in our own yard.

The tiny cherry tomatoes are especially good



No comments:

Post a Comment