Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday, December 2 - They say a change is as good as a rest

   

Conditions at 5:30 am: clear skies and 1' with sunny skies and a high of 3' to come later

Last night was a little different at the store. It wasn't extremely busy so I was asked to go and help in Health and Beauty for a while. Someone (no idea who) was apparently coming to visit the store this morning so it had to be in ship shape condition. My job was to face the shelves, which just means to move everything forward nice and even with all the labels facing forward.  I worked most of the time in the section that has baby food and it was a real eye opener for me. It was a little bit fiddly, all those little jars, but what I couldn't get over was the flavours available. The next generation should be much more adventurous eaters if what is available to them at 6 months is any indication. There are jars of things like Chicken Cacciatore,  Beef Stroganoff, Country Casserole with Chicken, Chicken and Vegetable Paaella, Chicken and Vegetable Risotto, Lemon Chicken and Vegetable Blend - it was mind boggling. Obviously they are marketing to a much more diverse group of parents out there. Then there is the organic line of flavours that are just as varied. What ever happened to putting some of tonight's supper in the blender and calling it baby food?  That's what Patti was raised on as a baby.
All in all it was an interesting way to pass the evening. Once in a while it would get busy and I.d get paged to go to cash but then when it died down, I went back to facing. When baby food was done I was sent to the make up isle. That was also a  little fiddly but not nearly as much as those little jars. The manager of the department was quite impressed when she came to see how I was doing. I suggested that it wasn't rocket science but she said there are people she doesn't want working at that job because they're terrible at it. I guess it does take a little attention to detail - something I'm okay with at work but certainly not at home - as anyone who knows me will attest to.

No comments:

Post a Comment