Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wednesday, December 14th - One more sleep and likely the last post for a couple of days



Conditions at 5:30 am: 0' with a bit of wind, heading for a high of +1' and maybe a bit of sun later

There was a chance of a few flurries overnight but we didn't receive any here. Town may be a different story.It's amazing how very different the weather can be in two places that are only 20 minutes apart.

Well, I'm almost ready for tomorrow. Tonight I'll take the dog to the kennel, come home and finish packing and then get to bed early. Tomorrow will be a long  and busy day. I don't know exactly what's going on yet. I plan to see Jana tomorrow  but other than that nothing is specific. I'd like to get together with Kay as well, either at lunch or more likely for a little bit after work. The concert doesn't start till 7:00 so we should plan to be there a little after 6:30  as parking is always an issue for this event.

I won't have time to do post in the morning and there really won't be anything to write about anyway. I will try to get one in sometime on Friday morning but that may not happen either. We'll just play it by ear. If I do get one in, it will in all likelihood be a very short one.

April 2010
Last night Brenda came over and we had quesadillas and a bottle of wine. She has a cookie exchange today so she brought her gumdrops to cut in half while we talked. She's baking gumdrop cookies this morning. She snipped and I grated cheese. She was telling me about a talk she had just come from at the church and the fellow was speaking about how much hard work waiting is and it made her think of Jana. I can't begin to imagine how hard that must be, to just be waiting for weeks and weeks on end. It becomes an entire occupation. I've see that from her blog. It takes patience, and focus, and perseverance and there's nothing you can do to make it go faster. We talked about the great evening the three of us had when Jana was here to see Jesse Cook. We had dinner at the Pilot House and we laughed a lot and talked a lot. It was one of the best times I've ever enjoyed with friends. Then we went to the concert where our seats were in the front row. Islanders are a little more reserved than us two crazies from Ontario and it was when we all had our feet on the front of the stage, and they came and told us to please remove them, we knew we had crossed some sort of line! Poor Brenda didn't know what to make of us but she was a very good sport and has some fond memories to look back on.

I remember Brenda commenting that now that she had met Jana, she couldn't understand why I would leave a great job like that, working for such a great person, to come here. It's funny but I was thinking about that last night as I drove home. In over 2 1/2 years, I've had only a couple of times when I've been really down, but never have I ever regretted the decision to come here. I think in a prior life I must have come from somewhere just like this, because about a week after I arrived, it felt so much like home. I've never thought to myself that I'd made a mistake and should have stayed in Ontario. This place is so much a part of me now that  I really can't imagine ever living anywhere else. I've lived a lot of places, albeit most  in southern Ontario and it never bothered me to move anywhere, but if anything happened and I had to leave this island, I would be truly sad. I don't see that happening anytime soon (or later).  But enough philosophizing. One more sleep till I see all my babies - both big and small.

Well, I'd better go. I'm dropping off some recipes I printed  for Brenda last night but we forgot about until after she was gone and I also have to drop off my turkey. I bought one at the store on Saturday night to put into the freeze for the CBC turkey campaign.  I got chatting with someone on my way out of the store and I forgot all about it until I got home and it was still in with my groceries. I'm not sure when the deadline is for dropping them off so I'd better do it this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment