Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday, December 9th - finally some calm



Conditions at 5:15 am: -3' with clear star filled skies, heading for sunny skies and a high of +4'

Well, the biggest news this morning is the wind - or rather the lack of it . Oh my gosh - what a day yesterday. At one point in the afternoon the bridge was closed to all traffic. That's something that's only happened 9 times since it opened, so you know it was serious. After crossing that bridge on our bikes on what was a normal day, with a bit of  wind, I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like out there with gusts of up to 137 km per hour, (according to the news flash I received on my phone around lunch time).

I was talking to Brenda earlier in the day and she invited me for supper but I figured I'd better get home to make sure everything was still standing. It was incredibly strong when I came out of work and the drive home was tricky as every once in a while a gust would just about blow you off the road. The most stressful part of the drive , of course, is the last kilometer, from the corner to the house. As I turned into the driveway I could see that both tarp buildings were there but I really wasn't sure they would last the night - there was that much movement. But there was little I could do at that point so I went inside. Brenda came over after her meeting and told me she had come by earlier in the day and was going to call to tell me everything was okay but she wasn't convinced either, that they would make it, so she didn't call.  When she left to go home, they were still there so we sort of figured they'd be okay as the winds had died down - now they were only about 80 km/hr! When I went to bed, that's all you could hear, was the wind but when I woke up this morning, I was greeted to the pleasant sound of ----- nothing. No wind at all. Survived another weather bomb!

When Brenda came over last night we had some  shrimp sauteed in a little sesame oil and butter with smoked paprika,  in little vol au vent shells (puff pastry tarts) and a glass of wine.  We sat in the living room in front of the fire and watched the movie 'Grease' - not the one with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John but the one by the Guelph Montessori School from 2006. What a hoot.That was the year James was "The Doggy in the Window". He was in grade one and Meghan was in the Casa group who sang "Teddy Bear".  They should watch it again before this year's re-mastering of 'Grease'

No comments:

Post a Comment