Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday, December 5th - it was a tough weekend



Conditions at 5:30 am: 6' and overcast, heading for 11' and a mix of sun and cloud later

It started out to be a great weekend. Friday I didn't have to work at the store so when I got home, I spent the evening digging out the Christmas stuff and setting up my tree. I put the lights on it but not the decorations. My plan was to do those on Saturday night when I got home from the store around 8:30.
Saturday morning I read an email from a friend in Guelph that was sent the day before. She was in the hospital in Hamilton but had since been moved back to Guelph. She suggested I call her husband for details but I wasn't able to reach him. Finally around lunch time I received an email from him telling me that she has lung cancer that has spread to her spine. That was devestating news for me. I felt so helpless way out here. There's nothing I can do that will be of any assistance other than pray for her and keep positive. It was a tough afternoon and when I had my break at 6:00 I called Brenda and suggested that she come over for a glass of wine. She met me at my place when I got home and we talked and drank a bottle of wine. It helped me a lot that she had met my friend and was a great support. Sunday was a tough day as well. I had trouble focusing and getting anything done. I did get some chores done that have been needing to get done but I just felt so lost all day. Then I talked with Patti for a while and Lloyd and that helped. I'm getting the emails know from Scott that she is writing each day, sort of a journal and I think I've found a way to help. I'm going to talk to her husband and daughter and see if they will send me some pictures. I'll put her journal postings into a blog format, without publishing it, of course, and add pictures and eventually put it together into a book like my blog book. I got her into scrapbooking a long time ago and now it's my turn to sort of make one for her, to document this journey she is now on. Hopefully after Christmas I can go up for a visit. In the meantime, I'll at least feel like I'm doing something useful.

My tree still isn't decorated. Somehow I just didn't feel very Christmasy over the weekend but now that I have a new focus perhaps I can get that back.

On the lighter side, Lloyd really liked the rice dish that Tabitha brought to the pot luck. He made the recipe I posted last week and he loved it. So thanks Tabitha. On Saturday I received the recipe for the dessert that Yolanda made that we all really liked. So thanks to her for that and here it is, complete with her recommendations....


Toffee Crunch Cheesecake Squares

2-1/4 cups (550ml) graham crackers crumbs
1/3 cup (75ml) butter, melted 
1/4 cup (50ml) corn syrup
2 packages (each 8oz./250g) light or regular cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup (175ml) packed brown sugar
1/3 cups (75ml) cornstarch
2 eggs
1 cup (250ml) milk
2 tsp (10ml) vanilla
3/4 cup (175ml) toffee bits, divided (or more if you wish)

  1. Preheat oven to 325*F (160*C). Line a 13x9-inch (3L) metal baking pan with foil, leaving 2 inches (5cm) overhang at each end.
  2. In a bowl, combine crumbs, butter and corn syrup until blended; press into prepared pan. Bake for 10 min. or until puffed. Set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth; beat in corn starch until blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in Milk then vanilla until blended. Using a rubber spatula fold in 1/2 cup (125ml) of toffee bits. 
  4. Pour evenly over baked crust. Bake for about 30 min or until edges are puffed and center is slightly jiggly. Immediately sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. let cool completely in pan on rack. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, until chilled, or up to 2 days. Remove from pan using foil overhang as a handles. Cut into squares.  
Bake: 40minutes total (remember the crust)
Makes  18 to 24 squares.

Cooking Tip: When baking, it's best to have all ingredients at room temperature for easier blending. (eggs included)

Squares freeze well. (At least this recipes says you can) Wrap cooled squares in plastic wrap then place in an airtight container freeze for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the fridge.

My two cents after my first try:   I would add more toffee chips after squares have been refrigeration. Chips seem to melt or dissolve after wrapping. Or spread more toffee chips before cutting into squares. This recipe is easy to do and will be a repeater in my home. 

Enjoy and maybe it will be a repeater in your home!

No comments:

Post a Comment