Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tuesday, December 20th - Guelph adventures continued

 


Conditions at 5:30 am: 0' and overcast with a couple of centimetres of new snow, going down to -3' this afternoon

Let's see, we ended with Thurday. After shopping we headed to Patti's where I spent the night. Patti and Greg both worked on Friday so the kids and I were home alone. I was up early, around 6:30 and gradually the rest woke up as well. It had been a pretty busy week for them and they were tired. Meghan and I made a prep list with check boxes beside each item and when something was complete she checked it off her list. We had lots to do - prep the veggies, make the stuffing and put it into the crock pot, bake pies - both lemon and pumpkin, make peanut butter balls, roast the turkey and put together a ginger bread train kit. Lots to do. But the first order of business was to tidy the dining room. It usually serves as command central when Patti's working on costumes and there was sewing stuff everywhere. But we managed to find a place for everything. Then we found a nice tablecloth and got out the good dishes and cutlery and set the table. Meghan made place cards with everyone's names on them. The gingerbread train was meant to be the centre piece but when it was done she wasn't happy with the quality of decorating so it we relegated to dessert and a new centre piece was made with coloured paper.

At one point mid afternoon, Meghan commented on how long it took to make a meal like this. "Grandma, I can't believe it's taken us all day long to make dinner". I told her that's because it was a feast and not just any old dinner. But once she ate it, I think she understood why it was worth it.

Patti got home around 4:00 and Tristen was ever so eager to have his mom take him to the bank to open a bank account so he could put his money in there. We were just waiting for the turkey to finish cooking so there was nothing going on. He was very proud of his new bank card when he got home. Apparently that's mandatory when you open an account. I guess in the old days you got a bank book, now you just get a card.

We had a lovely dinner together. We were a little disappointed that Greg couldn't join us but he had a work thing that kept him tied up. But he was there in thought. After cleaning up, putting the food away and doing the dishes, it was time for us to leave. The kids were sad to see us go as were we, but it had been a long day and they had to get up really early to go to Clarington for a  speed skating meet Saturday morning.

Saturday morning we got up early and headed out to breakfast with the airport crew. Jim's wife Patty joined us as well. We had a nice breakfast although I just had toast as I knew there was more food to come. After breakfast I called Nancy to see if she might have a few minutes to visit before she went to work and she was off, so we headed out to Rockwood to see them. We were there for about an hour or so and she mentioned about the two boys from PEI who had been murdered in Alberta. I hadn't heard anything about it as I'd not had any news on the day before. I sent Brenda a message and she told me there were lots of stories going around as to what happened and who they were and where they lived, etc. Turns out one of the victims actually used to live in Websters Corner. Like I told Lloyd, if Brenda didn't know they, she would know someone who did. It's that degree and a half of separation here on the island.

After spending a lovely time with Nancy and Stuart we headed to Highway 24 to meet up with Fran and Walt for lunch. When I walked into the restaurant, which is also a store, I saw Pat standing in line paying for a purchase. So the six of us - Fran and Walt and Pat and George sat by the window and enjoyed a lovely view overlooking a pond with swans and geese. It was a great visit but all too soon it had to end as I had a scheduled time to visit with Jana again. So we headed back into town and Lloyd dropped me off at the hospital. She looked much better and after a while I helped her get into her back brace so she could sit in a chair. Her spirits were good and we watched the sun setting in the window and played together to get the best picture with our phones. Once a scrapbooker, always a scrapbooker! In the end she liked the one I took best with the sun setting in the middle of the star on the ornament that was hanging in the window. I call it my star of hope and it is now my wallpaper at work. It will remain there until she's better. Every time I look at that picture I think of that fun few minutes we had together in spite of everything. I stayed until Scott got there with his mom and it was her supper time. Lloyd came up to day hi for a couple of minutes and then we left. It had been an emotionally exhausting few days and I just wanted to sit and relax a bit so we went to the local pub and had a beer and nachos followed by coffee. It had been a bit of a roller coaster for me and I was ready to go home - all the way home. We got to bed early so we could get me to the airport to catch an early flight. Everything worked out and I was back in PEI  a little after lunch time.

A quick trip to the store for some pita bread before picking up one very happy dog. It was cold and we had a little bit of snow but I was very happy to get home. As I mentioned, when I did get home the Van Gaal angels had been in and lit the stove for me. They have no idea how welcoming that was to come home to. Then after making some Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, it was off to Ray and Marlene's for their annual Christmas get together. It was a lovely evening and I really enjoyed myself. It was good to be back home among friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment