Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday, August 27th - Happy Birthday Meghan (2)!

It's a clear 19' this morning and we should reach 28' later with lots of sun that will feel like 34'. If Miss Meghan were here to celebrate her birthday, we would surely be going to the beach! In fact, I think that's what I'll do this afternoon as I have the day off! That is, of course, after I get everything put away from the BBQ yesterday.

What can I say except it was a success! But first and foremost, I have to say it would not have been possible without all the help from Brenda.  My fear is she's going to really start to hate it when I decide to have a party of some sort. It usually means lots of work for her as well. I hope she knows how very much I appreciate all her help. 

I was off on Saturday  so she and I went into town and had a quick tour through the farmers market, something we rarely get to do together. Then a short visit to the paint store to check out paint colours for her doors, some groceries and then back home.

I had some things to do for the party and she had her own things to do. There was a wedding at the Rec Centre so she went there while I made dinner for Judi and Gail and Lloyd and I.

Then Sunday morning I was up bright and early to get as much prep stuff done as possible. By the time everyone got up I was pretty much under control. Judi and Gail headed out to golf and Lloyd and I went out to pick up the tables and chairs. Brenda and I had set the tent up on Friday night, with a little bit of help from the guys.  It might not have been a lot of help but it was vital to making the whole thing stand up properly. Bernie was helping Lloyd with his sonotubes and getting them ready for the second pouring of cement on Saturday morning.  We were out there till well past dark and it was getting difficult to see what we were doing, but they finished what they needed to do.

It had been very still and very warm on Saturday with lots of mosquitoes. I put the sides on the tent to try to keep the little pesks out but then it was really warm in there. I wasn't sure how to cope with all of that on Sunday. No need to worry - Mother Nature was truly on our side. It was a bit breezy on Sunday which might have made a few things more difficult, as we had to try to keep everything  from blowing away, but the bonus part was there were no mosquitoes all afternoon. They only arrived early in the evening when the breeze died down. Perfect timing.






People started arriving around 2:50 and then it was a steady stream from there. By all accounts it was a success. Our neighbour, Margie, who is somewhat of an island institution, came by and performed for us and everyone loved her! 



Our friends Jackie and Helena were late in arriving as they'd had unexpected people drop by.  That turned out to be a good thing.






I've never seen oysters THIS BIG before!


Jackie brought a bucket of fresh oysters and once the music was finished, we brought out the coffee and tea and dessert and also gave people the option of having oysters. Some people had never had one before and we also did some on the BBQ. The oyster eating turned out to be just another element of the entertainment and everyone really enjoyed it.

Apparently it was mightly tasty!


So thanks to Lloyd and Brenda and all the ladies who were in the kitchen cleaning up at the end of the night. We really and truly appreciate all that you did before heading out. It was a bit of work but I think we'll do it again next year!

One last note - we were not the only ones who had a successful day!
For the third year in a row, James' baseball team has won the championship for the season! Way to go  James, and Coach Greg!  Job well done!  I talked to Patti yesterday afternoon and they were heading into the final game.  Once  our last guests had left last night, I checked my email to see what the final result was and there was the team photo waiting for me.

The winners for the third year in a row!

No comments:

Post a Comment