Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wednesday, August 8th - more hot sticky weather

It's currently 18' at 5:15 am, and it's going to once again be 27' and sunny later on. It was like that yesterday, and it might not have been a problem except the air conditioning quit at work. We have huge windows from floor to ceiling all along the front of the building and it just got hotter and hotter. By the time I left for my lunch at 1:30 the inside temperature was 29.9'. Of course, there are no windows that open so it was very stifling inside. I was ever so glad to be able to leave and go outside where it was a more comfortable 26' with a light breeze.  But the fellow had arrived to fix it and by the time I returned  at 2:30 it was back up and running.  Not a pleasant morning for sure.

Needless to say, the afternoon went much better. It was a pretty uneventful day and when I got home I really didn't have to do anything either. We were having chili for supper that I had made on the weekend so other than putting in into a pot on the stove to warm, and set the table, and that was it. Once Lloyd did get home, we had a slushy drink first, then our chili and cleaned up and it was 7:30. I figured I should cut some more grass but we were out of gas.  Lloyd went over to get gas and now I'm all set for tonight. I can get started on it when I get home.

So the rest of the evening was pretty quiet - I answered some email and read my book until I was falling asleep on the couch. Time to go to bed.

Lloyd talked to Patrick and we might have our base ready to start the garage on Thursday. I know it's not been a great week for him but he says he's back on track so we'll see. That will make a big difference with what we do in the evenings. I know Lloyd will want to take advantage of all the day light hours that he can to work on the garage. That will totally shift things I think. I need to get started on splitting the wood and I can work outside along with him while he's building, and then when it starts to get darker, we can come in and eat supper.

So I was reading online yesterday that the meteor shower we usually have is taking place this Sunday in the early morning hours. I remember the first summer I was here. Brenda came over and we sat outside in lawn chairs, wrapped up in blankets and watched the sky. Guess I'll have to set the alarm for really early and give her a call again this year!


The Perseid meteor shower happens every year around mid-August.
This year's peak nights will be during the early morning hours of August 12th and 13th. During the shower you'll be able to see up to 60 meteors per hour.
What is a meteor shower?
A meteor is a tiny dust particle that a comet sheds. These dust particles remain along the orbit of the comet for many years.
When the Earth comes close to - or plows through - the comet dust debris, dust particles fall into the Earth's atmosphere and burn up completely.
We see the break up of the dust particles in streaks of light that we call meteors, which are also commonly referred to as "shooting stars" -- although this term is technically inaccurate.
Comet dust particles are typically smaller than the size of a pea and burn up in the Earth's atmosphere about 70 km above the surface.



No comments:

Post a Comment