Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday, August 28th - Back to work

It's a breezy but mild 19' here this morning at 5:30 and it's only going to rise to 22' later but with humidity it may feel more like 27'. We are also expecting anywhere from 5 to 10 mm or rain (or up to 20 mm, depending on the source of your information).

What a great day I had yesterday! I was up early but not off to a great start! I went to turn on the light in the kitchen, as it was still quite dark when I got up and I knocked a bottle of wine off the counter, onto the ceramic floor. So first thing to do was try to get that cleaned up before the dog walked through the broken glass.  Fortunately Judi and Gail were awake and getting ready so I didn't wake them up at that hour. They were planning to catch the 8:00 ferry so were on the road by 6:10.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate for the rest of their trip.

When Lloyd got up we loaded up the tables and chairs and delivered them back to the Rec Centre. By then it was time for him to get ready for work. Once he was gone I set about cleaning up the rest of the stuff from Sunday. The ladies had done pretty much all of the dishes on Sunday night so I just had to put things away.  I also had a lot of corn left over - some cooked, some not. I took out some for supper and then cooked the remaining cobs before cutting the kernels off everything and bagging it up and putting it in the freezer.  Then the left over sausages that weren't cooked were bagged as well and frozen. I had asked Lloyd in the morning what he wanted for supper and his response was "anything but sausage".

While I was cleaning up I came across a package of steaks so I thought it might be a good idea to BBQ those as it was going to be a warm day.  So I puttered about and got everything in it's place and tempered that with an occasional sit down to read a bit of the book I'm currently working my way through.  Brenda called and we decided to keep working for a while as she had some stuff to do as well. We made tentative plans to go to the beach later.

In the afternoon I was sitting outside under the trees with my book when she drove in. So we made Pina Colada's and had some nacho chips and salsa dip and sat out and enjoyed the light breeze. It really doesn't get any better than that.  In the end we just sat and chatted and didn't go to the beach after all.  While she was here we decided that if I called my butcher husband to see if he could bring home some steaks, we could BBQ. We thought a celebration was in order because Will had passed his truck exam that morning.
Congratulations, and well done, Will!
We would have invited him to join us but he had his first trucking job that evening.

So around 6"30 we reconvened and had a simple supper of potatoes and onions cooked in foil over the grill (but I didn't quite put them close enough to the heat so they were a little underdone but still good). We also had our BBQ steak and fresh corn on the cob. Because it was so hot in the kitchen and there was still a nice breeze to keep the bugs at bay, we chose to eat outside at the picnic table.  By the time we were finished eating the mosquitoes had arrived so we finished our dessert and tea inside.

Dining Al Fresco - Don't you just love the construction zone in the background!!


All in all, it was a great day.  I can't wait till I retire if that's what it's going to be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment