Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's Tuesday again


Conditions at 5:30 am - overcast and 8* and the wind is picking up again
Expected later - light rain and 10*

Yesterday turned out to be not such a bad day. It was very mild - 15* in the afternoon and for a brief time, we saw the sun. In fact I actually saw three motorcycles out and about at different times throughout the day. Today is going to be still mild but more rain, which will continue for most of the week.  But we're not complaining - at least we don't have to shovel it and we may have a sunny weekend! 
*************************************************
Tonight is fish night at school.  We're doing three kinds of fish: pan fried in butter, oven baked coated in crushed potato chips (Brenda makes this one and it's very tasty) and finally fish baked in parchment paper.  We're also going to do some oven roasted potato wedges to go with them. Watch for the fish recipes tomorrow.

**************************************************

Yesterday I drove an amazing woman.  She had just returned from a trip to Europe where she toured France and Italy.  She had a wonderful time and was telling me that 9 years ago she was diagnosed with cancer and didn't expect to be around for too much longer but she bought a new car at that time anyway. Nine years later she's still bringing in the new car and is traveling and enjoying life. Did I mention that this woman is 87 years old?  Quite remarkable. It's nice to hear a happy story about that dreaded disease from time to time. It turns out she is the neighbour to another fellow I drove a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe how much of an overlap there is between this job and my old job at the University. Michael Liu had been a professor at the university for over 30 years and had graduated from St. Dunstan's university. He is chinese and I asked him if he had been there at the same time as anothe student of some prominance, named Albert Yeung. Turns out they were room mates. The sports centre at the university is named after Albert's father.  Albert returned to Hong Kong and became very successful but he always loved PEI.  I wouldn't have had any reason to know all of that except for having worked at the University and now it makes for some very interesting discussions in the car.





*****************************************************





Well, I did it!  I got a coffee machine for the showroom.  The service guys are astounded. One of them said yesterday that they've been trying to get coffee for ages and have not had any luck. It's being installed next week.  Next I'm going to work on getting a vending machine installed with pop, juice and water.  Now that will be a major accomplishment. Yesterday when I went to Pam with my research, I had all the options, prices etc. on a spreadsheet so it was all right there for comparison.  She was very pleased and said "We're going to keep you for a really long time" so I guess I'm in!  I still have three more months of probation before I get benefits, etc, but I think I'll be fine. 


**************************************************
I received this from my friend Nancy this morning and I thought it was quite cute and more than a little truthful:

Will I Live to see 80? ~~~~ something to think about.
I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive Lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairly well' for my age. (I just turned 60.)
A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?' He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?' 
'Oh no,' I replied.. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!' 
Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs? 
'I said, 'Not much... My former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!' 
'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?' 
'No, I don't,' I said. 
He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?' 
'No,' I said.       
 He looked at me and said,... "Then, why do you even give a shit?"

No comments:

Post a Comment