Monday, November 1, 2010

A sight to behold








Conditions at 6:00 am - 3* and overcast

Expected later -7* and rain


     It was cold and wet but that didn't dampen the spirits of those who turned out early Saturday morning to finish the playground. The amazing crew that did the prep work on Thursday and Friday had almost everything done. There were a few bits to be assembled on Saturday but the biggest job to be done was moving and leveling the gravel. By the time we broke for lunch, it was pretty much finished. You know what they say - many hands make light work and that was the case with the gravel.

I'd like to say I did a lot but all that was required was shoveling gravel into wheel barrows. The boys who moved them had the most work as we all filled them quite full and I'm sure they were very heavy.
We had the computer hooked up so that it was broadcast on the web for the entire morning.

While I was helping at the equipment, Brenda was helping plant dozens of bulbs around the existing flower beds and the new sign. It will be beautiful in the spring when they bloom.



Later in the afternoon, the opening ceremonies were held. I think a huge congratulations should go out to the organizers of this whole thing. They have worked tirelessly to see this project happen and they deserve a big thank you from the entire community.




 **************************************************************************
 I hadn't expected to be finished so early, so I was able to get some sewing done in the afternoon and evevning.

Sunday morning I woke up at 4:00 so I got up and finished what sewing I could do and I was finished by 8:30.  I decided to lie down and have a nap and Brenda woke me up at 9:45, thankfully. I had other things I wanted to get done and napping wasn't the way to do it. I had bought a box of apples from the Boy Scouts and I needed to do something with them. So I made some pies and a couple of apple crisps and put them all in the freezer, except for one which I sampled then dropped off at the Van Gaals.

After baking, I spent the afternoon catching up on some TV programs on the internet, needless to say, a rather relaxing afternoon.

On Sunday evening, I went into town to see the movie "Secretariat".  I really enjoyed it, although the outcome wasn't really a surprise.. My favorite part were the scenes in and around Churchill Downs. I had watched the big races when I was growing up and always hoped to one day visit Kentucky. Thanks to my husband, and his Blue Knight connections when we first met, that dream came true. Our first bike trip together was to Kentucky and seeing the images of Churchill Downs, where I spent a wonderful sunny afternoon watching the races and sipping on a mint julep, brought back some great memories. We were there about a week after derby day but it was still a great moment for me.

************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment