Thursday, November 18, 2010

The other chef in the family is keeping VERY busy!


Conditions at 5:30 -9* and drizzly
Expected later - mix of sun and cloud and 10* (according to the radio) but dropping  to 6* later in the day

Every once in a while they have a pot luck lunch at Lloyd's office. He always makes a special effort to make something wonderful. He's quite a good cook and in the last few years has been happily pushing himself in the kitchen. He especially likes to share his talents with the people he works with. They put up a list and everyone writes down what they plan to bring He promised to bring in Boeuf  Bourguignonne (beef stew a la Julie Child). He made a huge pot - to give you an indication there was 7 pounds of beef, 2 pounds of mushrooms, 4 pounds of onions, 2 bottles of red wine, etc. It was a LOT. By the end of lunch, it was all gone and he had accumulated 2 marriage proposals, 1 catering request and 1 offer of a woman's body if he would cook for her. These people don't get out enough!  Good thing he doesn't have a jealous wife. WELL DONE LLOYD!
He gets that the best part of cooking is doing it for other people. I'm looking forward to the day when he can cook for me again. I kind of got used to coming home from work and supper was cooking, the table was set, the wine was poured, the candles lit and the music on the stereo. I was so spoiled! But that day will come again and after a couple of years of eating dinner in front of the TV with the dog, I'll truly appreciate it.
 *******************************************
Today I get my shuttle back. YAYYYY! After spending 3 days chained to my desk with very little to do but answer the phone, I'm looking forward to being back on the road. It's raining right now but is supposed to be a better day later. To be honest, although it was boring, I was glad to not be in and out of the rain the past two days.  This year I have the added bonus of being able to start my car with the remote starter at work. I couldn't do that last year because the car was parked too far away but this year I can just point out the window and start it up before I leave. It's been nice these past few wet days when it's been chilly.
*******************************************
Tonight I plan to work a bit on my sewing project so I can finish it soon so I can clean up my mess. I have bits of fabric all around and stuff everywhere. The cutting board is on the island, the ironing board is on the counter and the sewing stuff is all over the table. It's somewhat of a messy process but that IS one of the joys of living alone, you can just leave it all over the place until you're done! The dog doesn't complain.
********************************************
I just heard a report on the radio that a new program just launched allows people to call 911 if you suspect a person is driving impaired. That would have been handy last year when we saw a woman driving erratically and ultimately ended up hitting a truck head on. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt but as we followed her , we felt helpless to do anything to prevent a tragedy, but now there is an option. In her case we suspect it was a health issue and not alcohol, but either way it would have been nice to have that choice.
********************************************

1 comment:

  1. Funny enough, even James has commented in the past that Papa is a better cook than I am. Apparently I rank 3rd, after you and Lloyd. Of course, I really can't argue with that!

    ReplyDelete