Friday, November 26, 2010

We SO have to try this one


Conditions at 5:30 am - 1* and overcast, no wind and no rain!
Expected later - 4* and rain in the afternoon and evening




Oh my gosh! When I left the university, the staff gave me a subscription to Bon appetit magazine. I finally just received my first issue yesterday and take a look at  the cake on the front cover. It's is beyond beautiful and after reading the instructions, Meghan,(1), we totally have to make this when you're here at Christmas. It's gorgeous and from the sounds of it, actually not that difficult to achieve spectacular results. Can you believe those ribbons are made from white and dark chocolate?  After some careful manipulation of the chocolate (adding corn syrup to the melted chocolate then letting it cool) it is kneaded like a dough, then rolled in a pasta roller and cut out. I can't wait to try this and see if it works. If it works as well as they say, that opens up a whole realm of possibilities for decorating desserts.




***********************************************************
Update from Patti on the new Puppy:


The kids are having a fabulous time with the dog.  Her name is Meadow, and Meghan and James love her to bits!  Meghan takes her out at least 5 times a day, and carries her around the house like she's a baby.  That won't last long when the dog weighs 60 pounds!  James has been busy with hockey, and he and Greg went to a Raptors game last night, so he hasn't spent as much time with her, but he's looking forward to next week when hockey slows down a bit.  Tristen is a bit scared of her because she nibbles when she plays, as all puppies do, but he thinks she`s trying to bite him.  He`ll like her better when she gets older and calmer I`m sure.
************************************************************************
There's a big hockey tournament in Guelph this weekend that she's been helping with - 80 teams and 1,600 kids. It starts today so her part is now finished but it sounds like it's been a busy week. They're going to give me a call on the weekend although I'll be surprised if they have time. James' team has 5 games over the next 3 days so they're going to be really busy.
Speaking of James, the new rankings are out from Speedskate Ontario and I just have to boast a little because it's a grandmother's job. He was ranked 7th in the province but now he's 3rd. No wonder his email name is 'speedyjames'.
***************************************************************
Holy Concerts! There's always something to do here and this winter/spring is going to be no exception. Heart, a band I've always really liked, are coming to the Civic Centre in February, and this week they announced Melissa Etheridge and Serena Ryder are playing together at the Confed Centre. Then Brenda mentioned that Sarah MacLauchlan is in concert in Halifax.  So many concerts and so little time (and money - guess I'd have lots of extra money had I not gotten new tires on the car, but.....). I'll just have to budget carefully after Christmas.
***************************************************************
Speaking of Christmas, we are now less than one month away, and only 16 days till Lloyd arrives. Bernie leaves on Sunday so he and Brenda are coming over for supper on Saturday night.  It will be simple, as I work Saturday but I'll still try to make something they'll enjoy. I have a plan!
***************************************************************

3 comments:

  1. That cake is soo pretty! I would love to attempt those ribbons with you over the break. I finished the last class of level 2 of the Michael's classes this Wednesday. I'll do level 3 sometime over the Winter. I just sent some pictures to Mom, maybe she can forward them to you too!

    Happy Friday,
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. a plan is always good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan, are you sure you want to be an accountant? You have a real flair for this. Hopefully you can find some way to use your skills and talents!

    ReplyDelete