Friday, November 19, 2010

A sign of the times



Conditions at 5:30 - 2* and overcast
Expected later - a high of 3* and cloudy - it's going down to -3 tonight

A sure sign that the Christmas season is soon going to be here is the trees. Yesterday morning when I was driving up University Avenue there were work crews out putting up trees on all the street corners downtown. I was totally amazed at that when I saw it last year for the first time. There on every corner, actually at every street light, was a real , lit and decorated Christmas tree. They add so much more to the seasonal landscape than just wreaths hung on the light standards that I'm used to seeing. Where I lived in Southern Ontario, you could never do that - they would all be stolen by the next day. It speaks volumes about the people and the way of life here, that they are able to do that every year. We may have our own issues here, but it truly is a kinder, gentler way of life. This weekend is the Santa Claus Parade in Toronto and that always signaled the start of the Christmas Season. It's also the Guelph parade so Patti and the kids will likely be on the float that's put in by their school. That will also mean lots of running around for Greg, picking up bales of straw for everyone to sit on. I forgot to ask her what the theme is this year when I was talking to her last night.

******************************************************
Apparently there were some problems viewing the photo of Patti's puppy. I was able to see it when I opened it, but that was when I was signed in. Here it is again, and hopefully it works this time. She still doesn't have a name but will get one once she's home and they can see what her personality is like. 

***************************************
Today our coffee machine is being installed. I've gotten interesting reactions from some of the salesmen. Most are astounded and make comments like "We've been trying to get coffee in here for years".  I just tell them they didn't have the right approach. You have to do the research, put the data on a spreadsheet and present it with recommendations. Works like a charm!
******************************************************
So,  tonight we curl for the first time.  There are three starting times - 6:30, 8:00 and 9:30. We told them we can't possibly be there by 6:30 so hopefully we won't have to do that one. If we do, I'll just have to miss it. They change the times every week for everyone. The 9:30 one will be interesting as well with working in the morning but we'll see how it goes. I just won't get up as early on those Saturday mornings. I've got my warm clothes all ready for tonight.
******************************************************
One more week and Bernie leaves for New Zealand.  He and Caitlyn will be back just before Christmas. Brenda figures Christmas will be a pretty low key affair at their house, as no one will be home except Ethan until a couple of days before and no doubt there will be some serious jet lag for a few days. Meghan and Brenda will be the only ones wanting to do anything. Lloyd will be arriving on the 17th so he can cook dinner for Brenda and I .  What a treat that will be - the two of us spoiled rotten.
*******************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment