Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Another chapter of my life comes to a close

Tomorrow I will be flying to Ontario to attend Frank's funeral. It is almost one year since I moved away, and slowly chapters of my past life are closing as new ones open.

I remember the day I had my interview with Balnar Management. I was in Jana's office with Jana, Mike Mitton and Jackie. I felt I had answered all questions satisfactorily. But, there was one more hurdle to clear. Frank was away on vacation and I could not be hired until he met me and gave his approval. I was so intimidated, and nervous that this unknown man might not like me. I had felt so comfortable with everyone else in the company that I had met, but I still had to face 'the president'.

When we did finally meet, it was fine. He was very gracious, although quite blunt, as was his way. One thing with Frank, you always knew where you stood. He certainly didn't mince words and you always knew what he was feeling. I remember taking the vacancy report up to him on Tuesday mornings, and when it was bad news, I would hope that he was away from his desk, or I would try to drop it really quickly on his desk and make my get away, but he was shrewd, and it took a fraction of a second for his one good eye to zero in on the one number on the whole page that mattered to him. Then he would roar "What? This is bad" before I could navigate the 4 steps from his large, imposing desk, to the door. I know it wasn't aimed at me personally, but I now know the meaning of the term "Don't shoot the messenger".

Friday morning breakfasts were always my favorite. We would sit around the table in the kitchen and he would tell stories, and sometimes he'd have a joke or two. He loved to laugh, and he had a big booming laugh that you couldn't mistake. I remember one night Lloyd and I were at the movies in Guelph. It was a comedy, and at one particularly funny spot, the audience was all laughing and in the midst of the crowd, one laugh was unmistakable. I looked at Lloyd and I said, that's Frank Balnar. So I looked around the packed theatre and there he was, a few rows over. He was a presence wherever he was, even without being seen.

I consider myself to have been very fortunate to have shared a part of his life as well as his family. They were all so very good to me in the seven years I worked there. I started working there in November of 2001 and at Christmas time Mike Mitton called me into his office for a little 'sit down'. He informed me that I was getting a Christmas bonus. I was flabbergasted. I'd only been there little over a month but he told me that this was a great company, a very fair and generous company, and he was totally right. I had never worked for anyone like that before and I know I never will again. My experience level was not high when I took that job but they took a chance on me, and I learned so much. Balnar is a family business and when you work there, you truly feel like family. I'm not sure if everyone who works there realizes just how fortunate they are, but I know if they ever leave to go somewhere else, they will soon discover that not all employers are created the same.

I'm lucky, my new job is great and the people are wonderful, but it's not the same.
Back in the days when Frank was in the office everyday, usually at least once a month, he would come down and tell me to order in lunch for the office. It was a small thing, didn't really cost that much, but boy, what it did for team spirit. It's those little things that can really make a difference in an employees life.

Many times I came in to work to find just a sticky note on my desk from Jana, with a simple "Thank You" for some little thing I'd done. I don't know that she knows how much those little things mean to a person on an everyday basis. I had the pleasure of introducing Jana to scrapbooking. I'll always remember the time we worked on the scrap book for George and Kathy's 50th anniversary. We had stuff laid out all over the house it seems, and we would finish, 'just one more page' until it was way into the wee small hours of the morning. But we had a great time doing it and it was a memento that George and Kathy treasured.

Then there's Mike Balnar. Now, what can you say about Mike Balnar without laughing. I remember the first week I worked there, he introduced me to one of the contractors, as 'the glue that holds our office together'. That was truly the nicest thing anyone could ever say to someone in my position. The contractor in question asked me if I'd told Mike to F--- off yet. I told him I hadn't had that opportunity yet. And try as he might, I never had that chance in seven years.
When I think of Mike I remember the shopping trips at Christmas to pick up the alcohol and pop and supplies for the Christmas party. I will never, for the rest of my life, see a chocolate glazed donut without thinking of Mike.
Mike and I had a slightly different work relationship than most of the office. He would sometimes call me to come upstairs, and it was usually to show me a video or joke he'd received by email that, let's just say, would not be appropriate for the entire office.
And then who can ever forget the "New Kings on the Block" when Mike, Kay, Jan and I rappelled off the side of 55 King Street. It was an amazing experience, that both Kay and I really enjoyed, and we would never have done it if Mike hadn't got the ball rolling.

Frank's wife Grace, while not working in the office, was always part of the group. Many times she would come in with a special project for me. Whether it was typing up a letter, or doing place cards for her Christmas dinner or bridge club dinners, or even a friends wedding, I was always so happy to try to be of help. She's a very gracious lady and I think of her often. I received a really nice note from her at Christmas and I'm embarrassed that I haven't written back. I will make an effort to do that more often now, even just a note to say hello, how are things going. I know the past few years have not been easy ones for her and I can only hope that I could be as strong as her in a similar situation.

I have so many happy memories as I look over those seven years, and the opportunity I had to work with such a great group of people. I look forward to seeing everyone again at the funeral, as I know it will be a huge one. It's sad that as we get older, the only time we make an effort to get together, is at funerals. But I know Frank would want us all to be happy and have a laugh together.

So thank you Frank, for giving me that final seal of approval on that November day in 2001.

You will be greatly missed by a good many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment