Friday, March 19, 2010

It's going to be a busy day today

It's Friday morning at 6:30 Ontario time and Frank's funeral is in a few hours. Last night Lloyd and I went to the funeral home and it was very busy. We can only imagine how many people will be at the service today. Besides the family who were there, I saw several Balnar employees. Today there will literally be hundreds, as most will likely bring their spouses as well. It will be a very 'huggy' day. Everyone I met last night told me how good I looked, how relaxed, and that life on the east coast must really agree with me. Makes me wonder, how bad did I look when I was here? I saw Jana's mother in law, and she said the same thing, then added, "Jana must have worked you too hard". I assured her that wasn't the case. But what really surprised me, is that it's only been one year (really about 10 1/2 months since I actually left) and already there are faces I can't put a name to, that I should be able to.

There were so many flowers at the chapel, it was truly an indication of how much Frank was loved and respected. We made our way through the line of family, starting with Scott, Helen and Frank, then on to Mike and his family, Ryan and Kristi, then we got to Grace. She saw me and gave me a big hug and seemed genuinely glad to see me. Then I got to Jana, and as she hugged me, she whispered to me that I was the only person Grace had hugged - it had just been hand shakes for everyone. I'm not sure what that meant, but maybe by the fact that I'm now gone, somehow, in some small way, I represent a bit of the past. Maybe,for a brief moment, it was a way of connecting with that. Whatever it was, I will always remember that moment, and the fact that Jana pointed it out.

When we left the funeral home, we went out to a pub for a beer. Lloyd has become somewhat of a regular at Shakespeare Arms. But that led to reflections of past times at the Old Copper Kettle in Fergus, where we were more than a fixture. At one point in time, we were more like part of the decor, we were there so often. But as we reflected last night, the best part of the place was the fact that you could bring in your own beer mug, and Mike kept them on hooks above the bar. So whenever you came into the bar, he just reached up and got your mug and had your favorite beer poured before you even sat down. There was something very comforting in that familiarity, that sense of belonging, of being a part of something bigger.

I feel that about Balnar Management. I didn't get to look around at the dozens of pictures that were on display at the funeral home, but Lloyd did, and he mentioned later that I was in quite a few of them, and he was also in some. It's not till later on in our lives, I suppose, that we can reflect back and realize that maybe we did have some small impact on the lives of others.

I know today will be a day for lots of reflection and reconnecting. Everyone is curious about how things have turned out for me. I know more than a few were either jealous of my new adventure, but some also thought I was totally crazy. While I've seen the office staff once since I left, I've not seen any of the other staff, and a lot of them turned out for my going away party this time last year.

It's going to be a busy day.

Yesterday I left home a little later than usual and took Cooper to the kennel. He's not been to this one, but there were lots of dogs there, and even another Cocker Spaniel in the cage next to him. I left him with a new bone and a hug and I'm sure he'll be fine.
My morning was quite busy at work, and when I looked at the loads for my flight, the one open seat that was there the night before was now gone and the flight is over sold by one. Not good, so I went back in and chose another route, through Ottawa. This one was leaving 2 hours earlier and would get me into Toronto at about the same time as the later direct flight. So I changed my ticket and off I went. No problem getting on the first leg, and I had an assigned seat for the second. So I called Lloyd and told him I would be there for sure at 5:07. I had an hour and a half to wait in Ottawa, so after a trip to the ladies room, upon arrival in Ottawa, I came out into the hallway to hear them announcing final boarding call for the flight to Toronto. I raced down the hall (fortunately not that far) and got to the gate. I pulled out my boarding pass only to discover that this was flight 457 and my pass was for 459. So I asked if there was any room on this flight? Since I only had carry on luggage, she was able to put me on. Now I'll be in Toronto at 4:00. Quick call to Lloyd as I'm getting on to let him know, since the flight is only 40 minutes long, and it could take him longer than that to get to the airport from where ever he might be in the city. I was just getting off the plane, literally, when he called to say he was out front. Now that's timing.

We decided that since it's now close to rush hour, we would be best to go somewhere close by and have something to eat. We found a Montana's just down Airport road, where the food was hot, the beer was cold, and all was well. Not to mention the fact that it was 18 degrees outside.
Just a little taste of what we'll soon have at home. I can hardly wait, because Brenda and I would have been out kayaking in that (or she would at least be out on her bike!)

Spring arrives this weekend!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment