Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I tried to run, but it caught me.


Every morning I wake up with a stuffed up nose, and sometimes accompanied by sneezing. It usually goes away by mid morning. I've been told it's something called 'chronic rhinitis' and I've had this now for a little over 30 years, so I'm pretty much used to it. The only trouble I have is determining if I have a cold. Yesterday it didn't go away mid morning as per usual, and when I went out at lunch I stopped into Shoppers Drug Mart and picked up some Neo Citron. Back to the office for a nice hot lemon drink, which helped considerably.
Fast forward to this morning and I woke up around 3:00 and I couldn't breathe out of my nose at all. By 8:00 I now know it's a cold - I feel like crap.
So it's a sick day for me. I feel guilty taking a sick day, as I'm only temporary but I really shouldn't worry about it. We have another person in our department who started the day before me, and I think he's probably been out sick 20 times, and no one seems to mind, so I guess I won't sweat it too much.

I've taken some more drugs and I'm going to meet Brenda up at the store. This will be the last time she can go there as she leaves for Toronto tomorrow. Tomorrow is the last day the store will be open. I was in last night to pay for my gas, and it's pretty empty inside. It will be a sad day for our little community as so many people congregate there on a daily basis to socialize, catch up on the news, and just to get out of the house. It really is unfortunate that they didn't find a buyer but it has some issues, and it would be tough for someone new to take it over. It's certainly going to be missed.

The community is planning a party for Dave and it's going to be on April 17th at the Fort Augustus Rec Centre. Brenda is working with a group of ladies to organize things. That's the day that Jana arrives so it will be entertaining for her, to see how we do things like that out here.

Yesterday I spoke with my quilting instructor and we have a class this Saturday. It's not a regular class, as last Saturday was the last class for this project. This one is a UFO class - UnfinishedObjects - a chance to bring in anything you're working on that you need help with. So I'll get the rest of the instructions for my project. While I was talking with her she asked if I had finished my first quilt, the yellow and purple one. I said no, it still needed the borders. She asked if I would bring it in to show some of the girls from her week day class. Some of them were a little hesitant to start the machine quilting on it and she was telling them all about mine, so she wants me to bring it on Saturday. I thought that was quite a compliment because she said she was telling the girls how beautiful mine turned out. But as I told her, it's just a reflection of the quality of the teacher. But I was pleased just the same.

I'm off to the store now, and then coming back and I think it will be time for a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment