Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A new 'do'

Cooper has a new haircut. Let's just say there won't be any massive hair balls forming under the beds for quite some time. Yesterday I went to pick him up at the kennel and he was almost bald! He looks so funny when you first see him without his thick wooly coat. I was concerned that he may have put on weight over the winter but underneath all that hair, is a sleek, slim running machine! As soon as we drove in the driveway, Scoobi from next door was right there. He bounded out of the car and they spent the next 20 minutes racing around and around the house. When I went inside, every so often you would see a streak of movement go past the living room window, as the two of them raced around. I think they really missed each other. Scoobi had come over on Sunday night when I got home and I felt bad telling him that his buddy wasn't home. The house sure felt strange that night, without him there. It amazes me how much they factor into your daily routine. When I got to bed at night, he snuggles up beside me for a little cuddle, then he goes off and sleeps on the end of the bed for the rest of the night. Then in the morning, as soon as he senses that you're away, he comes back up beside you and has a little pat before I get up. Then it's downstairs to let him out, fill the wood stove then let him back in. Without that routine, your morning seems really out of wack. But then last night I sat and watched a bit of TV and he was in his spot on the couch with his head on my lap. Everything is back as it should be.

While I was away, I read a book I'd picked up at the used bookstore when Patti and I went there with the kids. It's a few years old, and I've seen it for a long time and always meant to read it, but just never did. Now seemed like a good time. It's called "French Women Don't Get Fat". It deals with the paradox that are French women. How can a society who dines mostly on butter, cream, rich sauces, lots of great cheeses, wonderful bread and fabulous wine, all be so slim. It's not earth shattering, but it was an interesting read, and a great motivator. Sitting in airports for hours on end with no distractions, gives you time to really look at things and realize where you can easily make some changes. It's hard cooking for one person. It shouldn't be, but a lot of the time you just don't bother. This book gives you a different spin on food. It was something I could really relate to on a lot of levels. I tend to throw something together, park myself in front of the TV and eat way too much food. When we were in the apartment, we rarely did that. Most of our meals were eaten at the table, with a table cloth, candles and music playing, and usually a glass of wine. Every meal was an event and you enjoyed it all. I need it to be that way again.
I need to eat more fruits and vegetables, and more fish than I do. Now that I've gone out on a limb and written this all down, it's out there for all to read, so now there is no turning back.

There is a list of things that French women do, and don't do, and I'd like that lifestyle. for example, they would never join a gym. They find that notion totally repulsive. Instead they do sit ups at home, and walk everywhere. They don't drink pop, or a lot of juice, prefering instead to drink lots and lots of water. They eat small meals, but they never go hungry, as they have little snacks in between - but snacks that we don't usually consider - a good piece of cheese, a small handful of nuts (full of antioxidants). They have a small glass of wine daily, but never by itself, always with a meal. I'll add to that list tomorrow. For today, I had a simple omelet for breakfast, I have brought my lunch of a salad, and a peeled and sliced orange, drizzled with a bit of honey (I had that Sunday night and it was delicious), a small piece of cheese and a handful of almonds for snacks. I have to go to a meeting tonight at a restaurant, so I will try to find something on the menu that is both healthy, and delicious. There is no counting calories, fat grams, carbs, nothing. Just healthy eating in moderation. Part of the problem is that I got on the scales at Lloyds (I don't have any) and I was horrified at what I weigh. So, it's time to make some changes to my lifestyle. It will take a while to adjust, but I need to think more about what I put into my body. I'm not getting any younger! But it's never too late.

My challenge now is to make Friday Feasts very healthy, so we can enjoy them without feeling guilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment