Saturday, March 13, 2010

It's been a busy few days so far!

Thursday morning I went to Timothy's and for some unknown reason I was not able to hook up to the wireless internet. I was forced to just sit there and drink my coffee. I felt like I was wasting my entire morning. I was planning to help Sarah and Sjors hand out pizza to the students for their count down to convocation. Patti dropped James off and he helped, while she took the other two shopping. When we were done, I sent James across the parking lot to the pool to meet the others. After work, they all met me at work, and everyone wanted to drive home with me, so off Patti went, followed by me and three kids.

When we got home we all helped make supper garlic mashed potatoes, roast chicken thighs and corn. After supper was done and the dishes were washed, we sat down to a rousing game of 'Beatles Monopoly'. Unfortunately I lost my shirt, and James was the big winner.

Friday morning we got up early so we could have breakfast and head out to the beach. We were in search of red sand for Meghan's teacher. It was a bit chilly, but the sun was nice. Soon it was time to leave for the ski hill. We had made plans to go to Brookvale to try our hand at cross - country skiing. We rented skis for everyone. James had been once before so he was off and running on his own. Patti had Tristen and I had Meghan.

Unfortunately, the Olympics had been a huge influence on on her and what she thought cross country skiing should be. She was positive that you just stand there, and push with both poles at the same time and you miraculously go. No amount of suggesting alternate ways of doing things was going to work. Meghan can be very stubborn, and she was convinced she know best. But at the same time she was incredibly frustrated at not being able to get moving. We suggested to her several times that she didn't have to keep going, she could just wait for us to finish in the lodge, but she would have no part of that either. She was determined to learn to ski no matter how much she was hating it. Hopefully that perseverance will continue. She was very angry but she would not give up. " I hate cross country skiing, and I'm never doing it again in my whole life". "I wish I had a REAL teacher, instead of the two worst teachers in the whole world", "Why don't they call this cross country walking instead of skiing?". As you can see, it was not that much fun for Patti and I.

Then, when we were on a straight path, she and I were talking about why cross country skiing was invented. I explained to her about olden times when people needed to get from one place to another and the snow was too deep to walk on in the woods. And if a little girl wanted to go and visit her friend, who lived on the other side of the woods, she needed a way to get there. She thought about this for a bit and once she had some frame of reference it was like a light bulb went on. She is the kind of girl who needs to have explanations for things, to understand why something is the way it is. After that, she tried some of our suggestions, and suddenly it all fell into place. After a few minutes, she was zipping along the trails like she'd been doing this for ages.

After we finished skiing, we got some tubes and headed out to the sliding hill. We only had a short time there before it was time to go. On the way back to the car, Meghan was lamenting the fact that she couldn't go cross country skiing again today. I said I thought she didn't ever want to go again, and she just smiled and said "I loved it" .

Back into town, and a quick stop at Subway for something to eat, before we went home, as James and I had to head back to town right away to take in the PEI Rocket hockey game. Unfortunately they lost. But James did catch one of the frisbees that were being tossed out by the team mascot. And at intermission, he went to the gift shop and bought himself a pin. So the evening wasn't a total loss. After the game we stopped at Tim Horton's and had a hot chocolate and a donut.

Saturday morning dawned to yet another beautiful sunny day. I was up early to get ready for my full-day quilting class. I got away at 8:30 after making breakfast for James (2 sunnyside up eggs, with Hawaiian red salt and toast soldiers), an egg mcMuffin for Meghan, and one for me.

Patti and the kids went to Brookvale again this morning for down hill ski lessons at 10:30. When I got out of my class, and was at Sobey's Patti called to tell me they were on their way home.

Now, it's 8:00 pm and everyone as been fed, bathed and are getting ready for bed. Then it will be quiet at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment