Monday, March 29, 2010

Back to work

I'm getting used to these long weekends. It seems I've had more than my fair share of Fridays off lately and this week will be no exception. I'm hoping the weather is a little milder so I can get outside and do some picking up around the yard. There are lots and lots of small branches that fell or blew off the trees over the winter and they're all over the place. It would be nice to be able to pile them all up and have a bonfire to get rid of them. Something about the nice weather just makes you want to get out there and do some cleaning up. This Saturday I need to take the truck in to town and drop off garbage at Island Waste Management. I consistently miss the recylcling pick up and have several bags of that stuff, as well as all the stuff from when Lloyd was here doing the floors. It will be nice to be rid of all that garbage as well.

I'm not sure if I have a quilting class on Saturday or not, I'll have to call Janice today and find out. Yesterday I finished all of my blocks. They turned out really great. Certainly not as dramatic as some of the others in our group, as my fabric was a little less contrasty, but I'm really pleased with the results. Now I need to find out how to proceed from here.

Over the long weekend I have some stuff to do inside, perhaps a little spring cleaning. I might also work on Meghan's quilt and get it finished. I have lots of things to keep me busy while Brenda is away and I have no one to go out and play with. But then again, we can't go skiing and it's way too cold to kayak yet, so I'd best get the cleaning stuff done before we have more interesting things to do. If the weather is good, I may take the dog out to the beach - he loves to go out there and run around and explore. It's great this time of year as no one is usually there.

Yesterday was a pretty lazy day for me. After getting the party stuff done in the morning, I spent four hours working on my quilt blocks. After that I had a little nap, then put some laundry in and spent about 5 hours catching up on missed episodes of Private Practice. Now I'm all up to date. It was a total waste of a late afternoon/evening but that's one of the pleasures of living alone. You can do totally self indulgent things like that.

My French Women eating habits took a bit of a beating this weekend. So now I'm starting over again. I had an egg and an english muffin and a bit of cheese for breakfast and I'll pick up a salad for lunch at the Superstore. I've taken a chicken breast out of the freezer for my dinner tonight.

I have a question that puzzled me over the weekend. How on earth do houses and forests burn down? Why is it they go up in smoke with one little spark, while you can have 4 inches of red hot coals piled under several pieces of dry wood, in an ideally contained environment and they won't burn? It makes no sense to me. I put wood into the stove on Friday night and when I got up on Saturday morning, every piece I put in was still completely in tact. So I got it going again, and when I got home from town on Saturday afternoon, it was still all there. Now, I've had no problem starting the fire or keeping it going all winter long, but this weekend it just didn't want to cooperate. I did finally get it going and have since kept it going, but it just made me wonder how exactly do things burn down?

I expect I may hear from Helen this morning regarding the crop day that I missed yesterday. I hope all had a good time. I must admit I haven't done a lot of scrapbooking since I've been here. I did cards at Christmas time but not much else. I need to get started on a project to jump start the creativity. Perhaps this weekend. I need to get some photos printed so I can work on some projects. I need to update my PEI book as I've not put in anything yet about buying the house. That seems like a good place to start.

Listen to me, it's early Monday morning and all I can think about so far this morning is the up coming long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment