Friday, March 5, 2010

Well, it's a storm day for SOME people....


... but not us. I got up at my usual 5:00 am and the wind was howling outside. It was still too dark to see what it was like outside, but it didn't sound good. The drive home last night (Thursday) was a challenge. There wasn't that much snow on the ground but there were whiteouts everywhere, and it took a while to get home. One thing I've not experienced yet this winter was the snow coming from the east, off the Pisquid River. Usually it comes from the west on the back of the house. The drive was not so bad until I turned onto Dromore Road. Plows had not been out yet and there were multiple drifts completely across the road. Some of them were close to a foot deep. By the time I got to my house, the entire road across the front of our property was filled in with deep snow. I was sure I was going to get stuck, but by some miracle I didn't. On my way home I had been thinking that Brenda's class might have gotten cancelled as they were closing the University at 5:00. I planned to call her when I got home and see if she wanted to come over later. But once I got home and through all that snow, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I did call her to see if it was cancelled, and it was, but I didn't invite her over. She was just going to call me to see how the driving was. Poor Ethan was still in Summerside, so getting home was certainly a challenge for him as well, but he made it.
By shortly after 6:00 this morning the cancellations started coming in - all the school boards, east, west and french, all locations of Holland College, etc, etc. I waited patiently for them to tell me UPEI was closed, unfortunately that didn't happen. I waited a while, until I saw the plow go by and then I headed out. The radio was telling everyone how treacherous the roads were, and this time they were right. If you just took your time, you could get where you were going but it was a slow trip. I really need to get winter tires next year, I'm sure that will make a huge difference.
Brenda and Bernie were headed out early this morning for Moncton so hopefully their trip was uneventful.
On my way this morning I did see a car in the ditch and as you got closer you realize that it had gone into the ditch and smashed into a tree. The front end had extensive damage but I think it may have happened last night sometime, as there was no one around and the car had quite a bit of snow on it.
I've just looked at the weather network and it's telling me we could get 10 to 15 cms of snow next Tuesday and another 5 on Wednesday. I think we can all safely blame young James Dennison for all of this. Last week he wanted to know if we would have snow while he was here, and at the time, we didn't actually have anything more than just slush and ice. Looks like he got his wish!
One of the new things we have here is Google street views. One night I was over at Brenda's and we were looking at it. It's amazing. I can go in and see my house in the summer when they took the video and it's lush and green and I just love it. So, now whenever the winter weather might get too much, I just go in there and look at what I have to look forward to.

As Brenda and Bernie are "off island" today, we will have to forgo our Friday Feast. But have no fear, there is always "Saturday Supper". Brenda has some amazing pork chops that have to be at least 1 1/2 inches thick. So on Saturday, we are going to stuff them with apples and dried cranberries. She found the recipe on line last night when we were chatting about how to cook them. So we will have those for supper, and I'm making something for dessert, but I don't know yet what it will be.

I read the comments from Meghan (1) - thanks Meghan. You ARE part of my PEI family!

For those of you who don't know and probably wonder why we always put (1) after Meghan's name, there is a story. At Christmas when my granddaughter Meghan was here, Bernie and Brenda came over and when it became apparent that she has the same name as the Van Gaal's daughter, even spelled the same, Bernie decided they should be Meghan (1) and Meghan (2). For the rest of the holiday, whenever Bernie saw Meghan he just called her 'Two". The funny part is she answers to it! One day Meghan (2) and I dropped into the store, where, surprisingly enough, Bernie was there having coffee. When we came in, Bernie said, "How are you today Two?" and she replied that she was fine. When we left the store and were getting into the car, she was quite amazed that we should run into Bernie at the store. When we got home she had to tell Lloyd, "I can't believe we saw Bernie at the store". Two has a lot to learn about life in a small rural area!

No comments:

Post a Comment