Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The end of an era


This morning it's raining, but mild. My nose is still quite stuffed up but the body aches and chills are gone. I do however have four patches of exzema that are very sore, one badly infected. So I will try to get in to the walk in clinic this afternoon to get a prescription for some antibiotics. Okay, enough whining!
Yesterday, in between naps, I met Brenda up at the store. I hadn't thought about the fact that it was the second last day for it to be open. We had coffee and several people were there, some came and some went. Many people in the community drop in several times a day for coffee - and who can blame them. There's always someone to talk to, there are chairs to sit down on, and the coffee is only a quarter. But more than that, it serves as the social centre of the community. A lot of people are really going to miss this place. Today's drab weather just seems to add to the melancholy I know will be about the place today. I almost wished I needed gas today just to drop in and buy some for the last time.

When Brenda and I were there in the morning, Bernie called from Stratford Auto. Seems he needed a ride home as the car was in for service and needed more done than expected. So I went with Brenda for the drive. When we got back the three of us went inside for another coffee.
I then went home and had a three hour nap. When I woke up I felt a little better so I decided it was a good time to take the truck into town and get rid of the garbage in the back. I consistently miss my recycling day, and there was all the scraps from putting in the floors. I headed out and just as I passed the store, I saw Brenda going towards the store, so I turned around and went in and had yet another coffee. It was a little sad to be there at that point, as the fellow came in to take back the milk and dairy products that were not going to be sold. It just brought home the fact that it really is happening. I felt fortunate to have the opportunity to experience it one more time.
I had the opportunity to meet Dave's wife yesterday. I hadn't met her before. I know Dave is looking forward to his retirement and being able to do some traveling. Susan is looking for a job, but I'm sure she'll have no trouble.
Just don't be surprised to see the odd person sitting out on the bench on a sunny summer afternoon, just out of habit!

Thank you Dave, Susan and Thomas. I don't know any of you really well, but I wish you all the best.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice post Sandy! The "store" is really going to be missed.

    ReplyDelete