Monday, March 1, 2010

It's a blustery day...but a proud day to be a Canadian!

Wow, what a challenge just getting out to the car this morning. It's very windy and raining quite heavily. There was ice on the patio and the car but it's now just raining. I actually walked down to the road to see what the pavement was like before I started out, but it was fine. The radio was telling me about freezing rain and slippery roads and even reported several times about a car in North Winsloe that lost control on the ice and flipped over. I think I heard about that one at least 5 times. I'm sure that driver is a little embarrassed to hear his misfortune repeated over and over.
But the ride in to town was actually quite easy.
Boy, what a weekend. James will be extremely proud of me - I actually watched a hockey game last night all by myself. Of course you had to be watching the final gold medal game. I found it interesting that in the broadcast I was watching there were a couple of references to Guelph. One was regarding a couple of fans from Guelph who had been offered $5,000 for their tickets to the game, and then during the game they mentioned one of the players who had come up through the Guelph Storm. I suspect there must have been a Guelph connection with one of the announcers. I was so pleased to see Sidney Crosby score the winning goal. (I bet James was thrilled). They had made mention a few times about the fact that he hadn't scored any points at all in the Olympic games, and I was thinking, wouldn't it be great if he scored now, and then about 3 minutes later he did.

But, I didn't stay up to watch the entire closing ceremonies. They didn't start here until 9:30 and it was going to be midnight before they were over. Turns out I only missed Neil Young. That's okay, I've never been a big Neil Young fan.
Now that the Olympics are over, it should quiet down considerably. But they did get us through the last half of February, which might have been an otherwise dull time of year.

On Friday night, Brenda and I went to the Belvedere Golf Club to the Fresh Image 360 presentation. It was okay, nothing we didn't really already know. She did suggest that if all your clothes are black, you should get rid of them. Well, until I win a small lottery, that's not likely to happen. When it was over, we went over to the Old Dublin Pub but it was packed and we couldn't get a seat. So, over to the Gahan house. We spent the next hour chatting and munching on nachos. We got back to Brenda's about midnight, and Ethan was already home. that is just not right - when the 19 year old gets home on a Friday night before his mom!
But we had a very enjoyable evening. I suspect we may do that again some time. Especially once the weather gets nicer and we don't have to go out and get into a cold car.

Saturday was my last quilting class on the quilt we are working on. I still could not for the life of me figure out how it got put together. Then when she showed us the technique, it was one of those 'AHA' moments! I was so excited to get home and try it. I picked up my batting and the flannel for the backing and headed home after stopping at the market and picking up lamb shanks from George Matheson. Interesting chap, and he's going to save them for me from now on. They are quite pricey, but I just know they are going to be wonderful.

Sunday, it was mild and actually a very nice day. Brenda and Bernie left early Sunday morning to go on a road trip, so I had no one to play with! I got up early (well actually I woke up about 6:05 and jumped out of bed because the alarm hadn't gone off and I was going to be late getting off to work). By the time I came to my senses and realized that it's not a work day, I was wide awake so I got up. I started in on my quilt right away and except for a couple of breaks, I worked on it non-stop until 8:15 at night. It's not finished but the body is put together. I must say, even though it's far from perfect, I am really, really pleased with how it turned out. I know I'm going to give it to Meghan but I'm not sure if it will be for her birthday or Christmas. I would like to make one for each of the other two, but I don't know if I can have two done by the end of the summer, and then another one by Christmas. But well see. I suppose if I got the materials and did the blocks, I know the body can be sewn together in a day ( a LONG day, but a day, just the same). Might be a good project for a rainy Saturday or Sunday in the spring or fall, or that dull season in between skiing and kayaking.

I found this article on line this morning:

Opinion - The giant moose was great . . . print this article
ED WILIES
Canwest Olympic Team

VANCOUVER—Dear World: Loved having you over for the past 17 days. Hope you had a good time and sorry to see you go. But the airport is that way. Now, here’s something to take home with you: The final Olympic instalment of the Monday morning musings and meditations on the world of sports.


• The closing ceremony was ... um. Let’s try this again. This closing ceremony was ... oh geez. OK, one more time. The closing ceremony was ... well I liked the giant moose.

And Neil Young was fantastic. Thanks, Neil.


• IOC president Jacques Rogge declared the Vancouver Games, “excellent and very friendly.” Thanks, Jocko. That means a lot. And, to repay the compliment, we’d just like to say the IOC isn’t nearly as corrupt as it used to be.


• One other good thing about the closing ceremonies. No Celine Dion.


• In the end, Canada had its greatest Olympics ever but if the Own The Podium program was ever about the medal count, it missed the point.

These Olympics were about giving our kids the resources to compete on the world’s stage. On that basis, Own The Podium was an unqualified success and pressure should be exerted on the feds to continue it through Sochi.

But the other part of OTP — the self-proclaimed goal to lead the medal table — was a bad idea then and it’s a bad idea now. Based on OTP’s own criteria, these weren’t successful Olympics for Canada and that is so messed up it doesn’t require further commentary.

• Canada, of course, set a Winter Olympics record for most gold medals and the hockey team, according to Jarome Iginla, was painfully aware it was in a position to deliver the clinching gold.

“It’s hard to believe,” said Iggy. “I’m a big sports fan and I’ve followed other Olympics. To see Canada in that gold medal hunt and set the gold medal record is pretty neat.”


• Here’s the only comment we will make about that farcical controversy concerning the celebration of the Canadian women’s hockey team. A high-end cigar company in New York overnighted our gals a box of their finest on Friday. Good for them. Party on.


• If I’m an aboriginal kid this is what I’ve seen for the last 17 days. I’ve seen my culture represented to a worldwide audience. I’ve seen my leaders standing shoulder to shoulder with the leaders of the world’s greatest nations. I’ve seen my people play a huge role in the biggest show this country has ever produced. And I’m inspired to do great things.


• Sorry, no matter how you cut it, the hockey tournament is the centrepiece of the Winter Olympics and both Gary Bettman and Rogge are playing a dangerous game with its future.

Bettman has expressed his reluctance to commit the NHL to Sochi and 2014 but how can he pull the plug after what we’ve just witnessed? This has become the game’s showcase event and, sorry, the NHL isn’t in a position to walk away from the kind of juice this tournament generates.

Rogge, for his part, has put the women’s tournament on official report and you can understand his concern. But if he cuts women’s hockey, he makes a lot of enemies in Canada and the U.S., and they finished one-three on the medal table in Vancouver.

This decision has huge political implications for the IOC. It should also have huge implications as far as sports but you wonder where that fits in this equation.


The hockey was okay but I still prefer watching games when James is playing..

No comments:

Post a Comment