Sunday, March 28, 2010

Finally it's Sunday - the day of rest!

What a busy few says it's been. As I write this, I am sitting at my kitchen table, sipping on a cappuccino, listening to music and looking out at a beautiful frosty, but sunny morning view that I don't think I will ever get tired of. Did I mention it's 7:30 am and I've been up since 4:30? But it hasn't been wasted time. My kitchen is now all cleaned up, party dishes are all put away, and all is well.

Friday was a very busy pre-party day. I was up at 5:00 and had mini burger buns in the bread machine by 5:30. I worked all day on food for the party and was finished by 2:30. This gave me time to relax in a nice hot bath before dressing in my best 60's garb and heading out. I started loading the car at 5:00 and stopped by to pick up Brenda aka June Cleaver right after.
A very creative idea from her, who pointed out "Not everyone in the 60's was a dope smoking hippy" She looked great, with her dress, cardigan and pearls.

When we got to Tracey's house, we unloaded everything and got organized. You can imagine my surprise when Tracey opened her door and she was wearing the pair of jeans I saw on the wall at Froggy's. She said "You won't believe it, I walked into Froggy's and there was this pair of jeans on the wall". I unveiled mine from my long coat and said "I know, they wouldn't fit me" So we had quite a laugh about it when I told her I had taken a photo of them so I could copy them for mine.

Slowly people arrived and it's amazing how many people think of the sixties as the time of 'dope smoking hippies'. It seemed to be the predominant theme.

There was wine, games, food and lots of laughter and conversation. The food was well received but in all honesty it would have been a much more difficult job without Brenda there to help. She was amazing. She knew just what to do when and we worked together like we'd been doing this for a very long time. I felt bad that she ended up working so much but she says she enjoyed having something to do as she didn't know anyone. Once again she got home later than Ethan, around 12:30.

Then we dragged our sorry butts out of bed to go to the farmers market on Saturday morning. She called me around 8:20, she had just woken up and so had I and I picked her up shortly before 9:00 and headed to town. I didn't go to my quilting class as I didn't have any of my homework done and there was really no point in going. I'll touch base with Janice later when I get my blocks done. We actually have another day coming up when people can come in with unfinished projects and get help with them if needed.

After a tour of the market, a trip to Sobey's and then a stop at Timothy's for a quick coffee. On the way home, it was decided that I should stay for lunch. Saturday afternoon the boys are usually at home helping their dad, and Brenda's bus driving teacher was there as well, so that was their big meal for the day. Lloyd would have loved it - liver and bacon and onions. It was delicious, the conversation was great and it was all in all a really nice time. When we were finished the dishes and cleaning up, I headed home for a little nap - I had another party to go to on Satarday night.

I laid down on the couch around 2:30 and slept till 4:00 and didn't really get up till 4:30. Then I decided to check the email message regarding the time for the party, figuring it's 7 or 7:30 ish. Turns out it's 6:00. By now it's 4:45 and I have basil pinwheels to bake and a Caesar Salad to make. So I made the salad and while the pinwheels were baking I ran upstairs and got changed. I arrived at Rosie's a little after 6:30 so I wasn't too late. The pinwheels were devoured then we moved on to Spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, followed by birthday cake for one of the guests.

I enjoyed many conversations with some interesting people. Sarah works for Immigration and has just come back from spending a month in Haiti. She had some interesting stories. Rosie has another friend named Lorna whom I'd met last time but didn't really have the opportunity to chat with This time we talked quite and learned we have a bit in common, especially when it comes to ex husbands and that whole experience. I'm sure we'll continue the conversation at the next party.

I didn't stay too late, and got home around 10:30. Unfortunately I'd had a coffee at Rosie's so ended up staying awake till midnight watching "The First Wive's Club". I've seen it a couple of times, but it still makes me laugh.

This morinng I woke up at 4:00 for absolutely no reason what so ever, and when I was still awake at 4:30 I decided I might as well get up. I think there might be an afternoon nap in my future, but for now, I will haul out my quilting stuff and try to get some of my homework done!

One last note. My old scrapbooking gang are getting together today to work and just socialize. A big hello to all of you. I miss you guys and wish I could be there. Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures look great from the party and I heard the food was a hit! Thanks for posting the picture of Mom's outfit, it turned out well I think too!

    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete