Monday, September 13, 2010

Another chapter closed


Conditions at 6:30 - overcast and 10*
Expected later - cloudy and 16*

This was walk weekend. Not the Terry Fox one that Brenda and I have signed on for (that's NEXT weekend). This was the Weekend to End Breast Cancer. It now has a new name but that's what it will always be for me. I realized on Friday night this was the weekend so I checked the weather network for Toronto. I thought about it often all weekend. This event was so much a part of my life for the past 8 year that it felt odd not to be involved in some way again this year. But change happens and that part of my life is over. I have many fond memories of countless hours walking to train for it and talking non stop with fellow team members, many hours standing outside the liquor store collecting money in the big bra, trolling the streets of downtown Guelph and hitting up all the bar patrons for loose change, and Patti and I selling 500 pink magnets. I will always be very proud of the team we had that raised over $113,000.00 dollars about 5 years ago. To be part of something like that was truly an amazing experience. Everyone knew who the Wellington Walkers were.

Friday night Brenda and I and her aunt went into town for a snack and a glass of wine. We had a lovely time and Brenda's aunt, Ange, really enjoyed herself. While there we ran into Kim from UPEI. I told her to say hello to everyone for me. On the way home, they dropped me off in Stratford to pick up the truck.

Saturday morning dawned cold and rainy - a perfect day to work inside. I went into town early and did a few things, then came back just in time for Daralen to come over to show me her new crockpot and the ribs she's bought at the market. She wanted to learn how to do braised short ribs so we decided we would do them on Sunday. While she was there, Brenda dropped by with chickens she got from her cousin. I told her I'd take some when they were ready. When they were both gone, I decided to roast a chicken for my supper. But they were quite big birds so I split one in half and roasted one half and froze the other. Then I cooked some potatoes and had a love dinner of roast chicken, mashed potatoes, cabbage and cole slaw. It was yummy. It was such a dreary day, that I ended up spending most of the afternoon watching television. It was a totally wasted day but relaxing at the same time.

Sunday morning was still dreary and it was quite chilly. Brenda called and we went over to Kristie's for breakfast. She went home to finish up some chores and I spent the rest of the morning putting my summer clothes away and getting out the warmer ones. I even lit a fire in my woodstove to take the chill off. It was lovely - I so love the warmth that comes from a wood fire. Then at 2:00 I picked Brenda up and took her with me to the Andersons. After getting everything simmering, Brenda and I went for a walk (in preparation for next weekend) and went up to the store, where Richard and Tony have done an amazing job of cleaning up the store. They were buffing the floor and putting a final coat of wax on it. You'd never know it's the same place. He plans to build his furniture there as well as set up a display area where he'll offer them for sale. When we got back he showed us what he's got under construction right now. He has some very interesting pieces. He's quite talented and seems to be really enjoying making it.

I talked to Lloyd last night, and it appears he's moving to Jana's. Lynn and Paul plan to put the house up for sale in the spring and it will save him trying to find somewhere to live then. He was also a little concerned that Lynn and Paul might feel as though they were evicting him. Jana also has been getting calls to rent the apartment and she would rather rent it to Lloyd so it's a win/win for everyone.

This will be a busy week. Tuesday we have our final IAAP meeting. It looks like our chapter is going to likely fold, as we have had virtually no response from the other members and the six of us who do show up, really don't want to continue to do it all ourselves. We can still be members at large and attend CDC if we want to, so all is not lost. I'm going to be teaching on Tuesday nights all fall anyway, so I wouldn't be going to meetings anyway.

I did spend some time yesterday morning actually writing down some ideas and now a bit of a plan is emerging. Like most things it has taken on a life of it's own. Once you start writing down ideas, they just keep coming and now it's to the point where I have to choose which ones we'll do as we can't cover it all. But we'll do our best to do as much as we can. I'm quite looking forward to it now that I've come up with an outline of sorts.

Don't worry Meghan (1), we'll fill you in each week on what we did, recipes included.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about the walk too this weekend, and I was a little sad not to be a part of it, although I haven't been quite as committed to it over the years as you were. I will always associate it with Meghan as a baby after taking her to that first information meeting. It is hard to believe she is 8 years old now. I know what you mean about feeling old all of a sudden!

    ReplyDelete