Sunday, September 19, 2010

What a great day!



Conditions at 6:00 am - 11*
Expected later - 17* and cloudy with showers

Sunday was the Terry Fox run across the Confederation Bridge, and it couldn't have been a better day. The day dawned clear with cool temperatures, around 12* but as the sun came up, it quickly warmed up. We arrived at the bridge, a little behind schedule, at around 6:20 and spent a few minutes in traffic until Bernie took to the shoulder and headed to the parking lot of a nearby business owned by one of his relatives! The police suggested it might not be a great place to park as that was where they intended to park the cars waiting to take the bridge when it opened, but we said we'd take our chances.

We walked over to the area where we were leaving from and after a lengthy lineup for the porta potty, we lined up to start the walk. Those who were running went first, followed by the walkers. We have no idea how many were actually there but I'm sure it will be in the news later. It was a little breezy at first but once the sun came out full force, the layers of clothing started coming off. I spent most of the time walking in a short sleeve shirt - who would have thought we might be able to cross the Northumberland Straits in September in short sleeves! It was truly perfect weather.

By the time we got to the end, we were starting to get tired and were happy to see the Welcome to PEI sign. But it was lots of fun and we'll do it again in 5 years time! (if they do it again). Crossing the bridge was really great for me, as I've only ever crossed in a car, and you can't see over the sides in the car. On our way to New Brunswick in the morning, you could see quite nicely from the bus. I'm told you can also see if you're traveling by truck. Which now explains why high sided vehicles are prohibited in the wind. The sides of the bridge are really not all that high.

We were especially proud of Bernie. He only asked twice if we were there yet, and that was within the first 5 minutes. After that he just put on his hair, and sucked it up and did a great job. We were truly impressed. Next time he'll have Lloyd to walk with him. He hadn't seen that Lloyd donated to his site till I got there this morning and he was really very pleased. Needless to say, so was I when I checked my site this morning to find that Lloyd had donated enough to put me to my goal. It was a wonderful surprise and added to the excitement I'm used to feeling on walk day.

This one was different in that there was no opening ceremonies like we had in Toronto and at the end, you just go to your car and leave. But it was a great experience and we had fun, topped off with breakfast at a nice little place along the way home.

On the drive home I was feeling quite tired and seriously considered a nap but instead I stayed outside and tried to finish cutting the grass. I got partly done and the mower seemed to be running a but sluggish and I thought I might be running out of gas, so I headed back to the shed. The gas tank was half full so that wasn't the problem but when I looked underneath, there seemed to be stuff packed in there so I got a large stick and poked and prodded till I got it all out. I then headed out and it seemed to be running much better except that it wasn't cutting when I put the mower down. After bringing it back again, I realized that in my poking and prodding I had pushed the belt off one of the 4 pulleys underneath. I really had no idea how it was meant to be threaded on and decided to just let it be (I'm sure Lloyd is very glad to hear that!) and I put it away. I got most of the lawn cut, so it might be the last one for this year till Lloyd can look at it next trip. The good news is all fingers are still intact.

That was my cue to take a nap, which I tried to do but the house seems to be full of flies. It truly is fall and I guess they are looking for ways inside. I must have killed at least 20 when I came home and some were still around later, buzzing around as I tried to have a nap. So I got up instead and did some prep for our class on Tuesday night. All I have to do now is get stuff together to take with me and copy the notes. I went to the dollar store on Saturday and picked up binders and dividers for everyone so they will have somewhere to store their handouts each week. We'll make copies of the recipes, etc so they have a book to add to later on.

What an incredibly busy little place PEI was this weekend! Besides the walk, the International Shellfish Festival was on from Thurday to Sunday, the 70 mile yard sale was on, Hairspray is playing, and there were numerous other events taking place across the island. I'm always amazed at how much goes on around here. I remember living in Guelph and often people complained that there was nothing to do. That is certainly not the case here. The trouble with this place is trying to do as much as possible and there's always something you want to attend but can't be fit into the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment