Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A successful night!

 
Conditions at 6:00 am - a few drops of rain and 13*
Expected later - 21* and a mix of sun and cloud

We made it through our first night, and at first I was quite nervous, but in the end it was a lot of fun.
They apparently didn't put our class on one of the flyers so not everyone knew about us. When 7:00 came we had four students and two observers. It seems the computer instructor wasn't there so the students from that class were invited to sit in on any class they chose to. So two ladies came over to our group. At the end of the night, one of them actually decided to switch from the computer class over to ours. I guess we must have done something right! I'm sure it was mention of a future chocolate night that pushed her over the edge.
Our friend Daralen is hoping to join us as well, but she was ill this week but I'll call her today and let her know we have room for her. So we have a total of 6 students - just the number we had hoped to have.

One of the students ( and the only male) is actually a professional butcher and is a great source of information regarding food safety and proper sharpening and cutting techniques.  We did our potato soup last night - two versions. One with onions and one with leeks.  Then we were able to taste both.  It was generally decided that the one with leeks had more flavour.  Everyone pitched in and helped clean up so it went very well.
We sat down at the end and discussed what we planned to do during the course and we shared some of the ideas we had and they seemed very enthusiastic about what we had in store for them.

Next week we plan to make fresh pasta.  I think we'll do a pesto sauce to go with it, and maybe a quick tomato sauce but we'll see what we have time for. I may do the pesto there, but bring in the tomato sauce pre-made along with the recipe.  I'll have to research the recipe first and see what kind of time is involved. We are very limited in time so we need to be very organized.  But I think it will be fun.

When we got back to Brenda's we had a glass of wine to toast our successful first night!

######################################################################

Last night was the season premiere for Glee. It was on at 9:00 and I was afraid I was going to miss it but I found it at 10:00 as well.  I had seriously considered canceling my satellite as the shows I like to watch come on too late to stay up and watch. If I feel like watching TV earlier in the evening, I end up watching stuff I don't particularly like. It seems there is a solution!  On my last satellite bill, there was a little blurb about the fact that I've been a good customer for over a year so I can now rent a PVR for a mere $15.00 a month. I reviewed the budget and decided that I was worth $2.00 a day. Heck that's what I was spending on coffee at Timothy's. Now that I'm not going there in the morning, I can utilize that money more efficiently!  (Give me enough time and I can justify ANYTHING). So my PVR receiver is being shipped via purolator and then someone will come out to install it. The good thing is they do Saturday appointments so it will take a couple of weeks before it's in but then I can watch better programing while I'm eating supper and it's early in the evening. No more falling asleep half way through my favorite programs.

1 comment:

  1. Your Math is never very good. I believe that is $0.50 a day. You will actually be saving money.

    ReplyDelete