Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ah, the joys of home ownership!

Conditions at 5:45 am - 18* and dark!
Expected later - 27^ and sunny

OOOPS - reopened this one to correct a mistake and forgot to publish it again!

Last night around 11:30 I got out of bed to investigate why the water pump wasn't shutting off. Going down into that dingy cellar late at night wasn't high on my list of things I'd like to do, but when I discovered that there was no water coming from the taps, there might be a problem. Lloyd had told me if that ever happened, to go down and shut off the pump. The only question is, how do you do that? Turns out to be an easy job, just flick the switch on the ceiling.

When Raymond installed the pressure tank, he mentioned that the bearings didn't sound good in the pump and it would likely need replacing sooner rather than later. In retrospect I guess I should have had him replace that at the same time. I'll call him later today and see what he recommends. Lloyd will be here on Friday night but I'm pretty sure he'd much rather have someone else replace it, as they would have all the proper tools, etc.

Yesterday was another busy day but already it seems I'm getting used to it. One thing I did differently yesterday was carry a bottle of water with me in the car. The day before I had a headache in the afternoon and I think it might just have been from the heat. So I brought a water bottle with me and kept if filled from the cooler at work, and sipped on it all day. I didn't feel nearly as tired when I got home last night. The phone was also not quite so busy, although I was out of the office a lot of the time. I suspect that Monday's may be a busy day as you get all the problems that have developed over the weekend. By Tuesday, some of those have been sorted out. It's also Honda's year end on August 32st so I imagine they were busy trying to get as many sales in as possible.

One of my jobs yesterday afternoon, made me think that perhaps I've run into another Balnar Management. It's the little things that they did for the staff that made such a difference, and yesterday this company did something similar. It was a little thing but it was greatly appreciated. The owner emailed and asked that I go out and pick up slushies for the guys in the shop. It was very hot outside, and even hotter in the garage. So I went out and picked them up and you'd have thought I brought them something amazing. But I guess an unexpected icy treat on a hot afternoon is pretty great. Those were the little things that Balnar's would have done. I think it speaks volumes about a company.

I talked to Lloyd yesterday and he and Jim are leaving today but instead of the car, they are bringing Jim's truck with the trailer behind. He has picked up my counter top and he says it's very heavy, so that's good, it sounds like it's exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to get it installed. I'm using the island all the time now and it makes my kitchen so much more efficient. I absolutely love it - it's turned out exactly how I envisioned.

Well, I'm off to the shed to try to find the water jug we used when we stayed in the bunky. I'll see if my good friend Brenda will be so kind as to fill it up for me on my way home from work tonight. It's not that big a deal - we used to manage in the bunky with limited water and hopefully it won't be too long.

Well, apparently I had more mice than I thought. I caught one last night and another was there this morning. I guess my $6.00 traps were a good investment.

Total to date: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment